Easy question...

TracyTaz said:
Right, I'm feeling full of confidence now my sink is working like a dream. I'm seriously thinking of changing my shower tray as the one in is a very poor choice of colour.

Is it simple enough to replace a shower tray? If I've replaced a bathroom sink will I be up to it?

I assume it has some kind of wooden frame underneath, but I'll be able to simply remove one tray and replace like for like on the old frame. I think I'll have to silicon round the edges and round the waste pipe (or use a shower-tray-mate!) I can't think of anytning else assuming the trap is still okay..?

Glad you feel this way, however changing a shower tray isn't as easy as replacing a wash basin. Have a look at the tutorials on this website one page gives full details on how to install a shower cubicle. Feel free to browse through and conclude then whether the job is feasible.
http://www.dynomo.co.uk/Fit a shower cubicle.htm

I guess the problematic factors you will face are firstly, removing the existing tray and the glass shower enclosure without causing any damage to surroundings, all remaining sealant on tiles etc will need to be chemically removed so that when the new seal is applied, it will adhere to the tiles. I don't think you will be able to replace the tray itself without removing the glass panels. Although possible, is definitely something I wouldn't recommend. Having said that, it might even be worth your while replacing the whole shower enclosure itself considering you may well have to rip out the entire old one.

The trap will need to be identical to the existing and will need a thorough check once fitted to ensure of no leaks.

Personally, I'd advise you call in a plumber or even try a handyman from a local paper, fitting a shower cubicle is not as easy as you think it may be. From removing existing, to securing new, making sure there are no leaks through the enclosure, working with silicone for the first time and several other issues, this job will become a nightmare if you go wrong somewhere down the line...

Sponsored Links
Thanks dynomo!

It sounds very involved, but thankfully I'm only thinking of replacing the tray. It's an existing cubicle made by building a plasterboard wall near the corner of a small room, with a shower curtain.

The only bit that really concerned me was the sand and cement. Assuming I mix this in a bucket with water, how thick should the finished layer be? The rest sounds do-able.

TracyTaz said:
Thanks dynomo!

It sounds very involved, but thankfully I'm only thinking of replacing the tray. It's an existing cubicle made by building a plasterboard wall near the corner of a small room, with a shower curtain.

The only bit that really concerned me was the sand and cement. Assuming I mix this in a bucket with water, how thick should the finished layer be? The rest sounds do-able.

DOH!!! I presumed you had a glass enclosure.
Is there a plinth attached to the outskirts of the tray?
If so, your tray is probably supported with a timber frames or 5 individual support legs beneath..
Can you send us a picture???

dynomo said:
TracyTaz said:
Thanks dynomo!

DOH!!! I presumed you had a glass enclosure.
Is there a plinth attached to the outskirts of the tray?
If so, your tray is probably supported with a timber frames or 5 individual support legs beneath..
Can you send us a picture???

Haha! Now you're getting technical. As you look down on the tray, it's surrounded by four wooden strips, one on each side. I'm pretty sure it was a DIY job. I'm reluctant to pull it apart in case I don't do the job, but it is raised off the floor about 6" or so.

Sponsored Links
Now you're getting technical on me lol
Wooden strips??

Post a picture if you can...

Presumably the stips are just there because the tray didn't fit flush against all four walls. I'm sorry I can't post a picture because my camera doesn't work (and I'm not sure I'm clever enough to make it work!) Maybe I won't know what's under the tray until I take the old one out.

Do you know how to do the sand/cement?

Thanks in advance.
:D

TracyTaz said:
Presumably the stips are just there because the tray didn't fit flush against all four walls. I'm sorry I can't post a picture because my camera doesn't work (and I'm not sure I'm clever enough to make it work!) Maybe I won't know what's under the tray until I take the old one out.

Do you know how to do the sand/cement?

Thanks in advance.
:D

ok, I see what you mean now. If you were attempting a tray replacement, these wooden beads would need to be removed first. Then the sealant and then the tray itself. I dont see why you'd need to mix a sand and cement screed again as this has probably already been done. However for knowledge, the mix you would normally go for is 5:1, i.e. 5 parts sand and 1 part cement. The whole area would need levelling off prior to fixture of the new tray.

Thanks again Terry.

I think I might be able to do this job after all (I told you I was feeling confident!) I'll get some of that sealant dissolving stuff, but I think I've got everything else I need...apart from the tray!

Cheers.

No worries, best of luck and be careful!!!
Good luck with finding an exact replacement. Remember, if you have difficulties with the waste pipe etc, you can always re-use the original trap so that it fits snug, make sure you give it a thorough clean though.
Depending on the setup you have underneath, remember to use something along the lines of 'no more nails glue' and apply it to any area of the tray which is in contact to walls, floor etc.

Cheers. I know it's strange, but I think I'm looking forward to it now!
:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back