fitting plug hole to sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all
Just fitted my flash new ceramic sink and plumbed it in but the problem is the plughole to sink joint keeps leaking. The plughole is steel and underneath there is a rubber washer and a plastic nut to secure. Had 2 attempts to seal sink to basin joint with silicone but on both occasions the plughole leaked and i had to remove it and clean the silicon and try again. The silicone seemed to still be wet when i removed plughole. Am i using wrong stuff. Just using silcoset 153. Also the plastic nut seems weak and am afraid to overtighten for fear of cracking it. The basin and plughole came together so assuming got right kit. Any advice cheers

Sponsored Links
never heard of silcoset 153. i always use dow corning silicone.

As for the basin waste did you seal round the waste to basin before fitting the rubber seal/nut ?

Whenever I have used silicone that doesn't set, its usually because it's past its use by date. Check the date on the tube. It may also be because its poor quality. Use something good like Dow Corning, but I would use Plumbers Mait on the upper joint, and silicone between the nut and underside.

This video is for a basin, but the principle is the same.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back