Easy question...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I'm not a plumber, but I've just had a go at changing the sink in my bathroom. I've fitted the plug hole like this, from top to bottom:

metal plughole
rubber(?) washer
sink
plastic washer
plastic nut

...as per the instructions. I even put some silicon between the metal plughole and the rubber washer.

The trouble is it's leaking. I've been very careful so I don't know what the problem is. Can anyone help me out?
:oops:

Sponsored Links
They usually leak since the seals supplied aren't adequate. You need to seal with silicon between the plastic washer and basin. You may even need a special washer to seal it if the basin is deformed.

It's probably got an internal overflow, and this will be what is leaking past the seal. Theres a product that has been brought out for this called a basin mate cos it's a common problem, it's basically just a big conical seal and works a treat. They used to sell them in B&Q for a quid or pts do them I think.

Well peronally I wouldnt use silicon and a rubber washer between the waste outlet and the basin,just silicon would do but even better I always use a washer called 'basin mate' available from plumb center and I use this on basin installs all the time now-it comes with it's own washers and instructions and if fitted right it will never leak. Costs about a pound. ;)

Sponsored Links
I would assemble it as waste - sealant - Basin - (sealant) - rubber washer - plastic washer- sealant on thread - nut.

Whether you need sealant between the basin and rubber washer depends on how good the finish on the basin is there.

A wipe of sealant on the waste threads stops water running around the thread inside the nut.

a good tip is to apply silicone (not masses of it!!) between the plug and rubber washer, then to the area between rubber washer and basin, and also underneath between plastic nut and bottom of basin. Tighten up to a slightly less than hand tight fit, wait an hour or so to allow for the silicone to dry a little and then tighten everything with full force. You can cut off excess silicone very easily once it is dry.This is my method and works everytime!! Infact, with most plugs you will find that you are not supplied with the rubber washer that sits between plug and basin, this is where silicone plays a vital role in assuring no sneaky leaks!!

Basin mate?! I've never heard of that.

Is it a washer that goes underneath the sink, between the nut and the sink itself? Would I still use the washer?

Thanks very much guys, I'll be at B&Q first thing in the morning!
:D

TracyTaz said:
Basin mate?! I've never heard of that.

Is it a washer that goes underneath the sink, between the nut and the sink itself? Would I still use the washer?

Thanks very much guys, I'll be at B&Q first thing in the morning!
:D

Yes it goes underneath the basin and it is chamfered so the end of it goes into the hole in the ceramic basin-you use the washers it supplies with it-saves messing with lots of silicon.

this is what a basin mate looks like:

37534.jpg

Thanks again for all your help.

I can see that Basin Mate would be pretty water-tight from the picture. I assume I'll need to put some 32mm pipe between it and the bottle trap.

TracyTaz said:

I can see that Basin Mate would be pretty water-tight from the picture. I assume I'll need to put some 32mm pipe between it and the bottle trap.

No-it just goes on the metal waste fitting-then the big nut goes on after what you see in the pic--there are instructions with it so you should be ok.

chr15 said:
TracyTaz said:

No-it just goes on the metal waste fitting-then the big nut goes on after what you see in the pic--there are instructions with it so you should be ok.

Oh yes, I see what you mean now. Thanks chr15. I'll be relieved if/when this works.

I fitted a basin mate and it worked! :D

I took out the flimsy white washer thing, I hope that's right. It didn't seem to fit anywhere. Anyway, the thing doesn't leak anymore so thanks again for your help.

I'm thinking of fitting a new shower tray now I'm in the mood. Should be easy! lol!

Right, I'm feeling full of confidence now my sink is working like a dream. I'm seriously thinking of changing my shower tray as the one in is a very poor choice of colour.

Is it simple enough to replace a shower tray? If I've replaced a bathroom sink will I be up to it?

I assume it has some kind of wooden frame underneath, but I'll be able to simply remove one tray and replace like for like on the old frame. I think I'll have to silicon round the edges and round the waste pipe (or use a shower-tray-mate!) I can't think of anytning else assuming the trap is still okay..?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back