What's this little cable for??? (with pics)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon folks. About to put an RCD into a little portable distro (32A socket to a CU with an RCD, then a 32A MCB, and then to 3 x 13A sockets on a ring).

I was given an RCD (proteus) to put in it, and it appears to have a little cable coming out of it (can't be much more than .5mm) from just behind the incoming neutral input (the lad who gave it to me isn't a spark so I can't even play dumb and ask him)... But what the hell is it for? I've never seen one on an RCD before and I'm confused..... Any suggestions

front.jpg

This is the top view of the RCD
top.jpg

Sponsored Links
functional earth. Connect it to the earth bar.

It ought to have a little plastic tab on it saying "earth".

It does not carry any current in use, that's why it's so small.

MEM have them too. I believe it is to help it trip in the event of a pulsating DC fault.

JohnD said:
functional earth. Connect it to the earth bar.

It ought to have a little plastic tab on it saying "earth".

It does not carry any current in use, that's why it's so small.

MEM have them too. I believe it is to help it trip in the event of a pulsating DC fault.

Ah-ha!!! I thought it might be an earth but didn't want to say it in case I was way off the mark and subsequently scoffed at :oops:

Not a trace of a tab to indicate earth or anything... Typical... Much appreciated though - off to wire it in now ;)

i spy with my little eye...... yellow and green marker in the wire?? top picture? no?

anyway.. it's so that the RCB has a reference to earth for comparing the neutral to..

a lot have them that are not fixed to an earthed din rail...

how do the split load rcb's refference to earth for N-E faults?

Sponsored Links
Anyone got a schematic of the trip circuit for one of these?

Hello All,
What would cause a 'pulsating DC fault' please JD.

Thanks
Ed.

Thanks
Do you by any chance know what voltage the N-E trip occurs?

The voltage depends on the impedance of the circuit

V=IR

Voltage=30mA X Zs

(I think thats right)

Ah, I see what you mean, the diagram shows it measuring Voltage between N and E, right? In addition to the current difference between N and P?

Would have to look at the MEM (Eaton) spec. It might be in the catalogue somewhere.

Have a browse on http://www.memonline.com/f111.html and related pages if you have time.

p.s.that page also answers a question that cropped up recentky "how much does a time delay, delay by?"

voltage on the earth can rise no more than 50V before the device will trip..

Zs I(delta)n <= 50 V

I suppose, will be 25v for some special locs. I was wondering if there was a preset value in the RCD, i.e. it trips at a residual current of 30mA nominal, does it have a N-E voltage nominal too?

N-E fault will trip the RCD just the same as a P-E fault. As stated the voltage on exposed conductive parts must not rise above 50V or 25V in special locations.
The RCD has no set voltage to which it trips, only an inbalance in current between P-N.
Impedance is what determines touch voltages so for a special location you use the formula mentioned to ensure Zs is low enough.

25 divided by 30mA= 833 Ohms

So provided Zs for the circuit is below 833 Ohms the RCD will trip long before the voltage on earthed metalwork reaches 25V

If you loop test the circuit to obtain Zs you can work out what the voltage will be at the point when the RCD trips. There are some RCD testers that now tell you this info, to save you working it out for yourself

these types do check the voltage on the earth.. that's what the little cable is for..

they are more prone to nuisance tripping from capacitive coupling and the like..

if you have no inbalance in P-N loading, but still have a touch voltage of 55V on the earth for some reason then it's not going to trip a regular RCD..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back