External power

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to install some power externally for a 5kW heater for a new swimming pool. the socket can be positioned approx 5 metres from the pool, so don't fall into the zones for pools. My consumer unit is approx 30 metres from the point I need the socket. I am thinking of putting a new MCB (32A) in the unit on the RCD side of it, running 5 metres 10mm2 twin and earth into my garage (all internal), terminating it into a RCD in the garage. On the output of the rcd running 6mm2 SWA for the remaining 25 metres to a 63A socket (http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/GW240slash63slash3S.html) and a 63A IP 65 rated switch http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Distribution_and_Switchgear_Index/CMD_M_Switch/index.html. I am not up on the latest part P regs but would this comply? The SWA Cable would be buried in the ground for most of the run, under an area of chippings with very very little walking on it, Is a depth of 450mm OK?.

Reason for cable choice is that I may upgrade to a 9kW heater in future

I also need a 13A socket in same position, I was going to buy the kit from B&Q that plugs into a standard 13A socket (using a RCD of course) and then running to same point. It has a IP56 rated socket (whilst plug is in). Would this comply to regs or do I have to wire it back to main consumer unit. ( Want to do it this way as I only have one spare way in the unit.

Sponsored Links
Forget to mention that the SWA would be 3 core + armour

el21 said:
I am not up on the latest part P regs but would this comply?

Part p is a building reg, it has nothing to with what size cable / where or how, its to do with are you competant to do the job and can you provide a certificate

breezer said:
el21 said:

Part p is a building reg, it has nothing to with what size cable / where or how, its to do with are you competant to do the job and can you provide a certificate

This has not answered my question at all - What a strange response this was! :eek:

Any appropriate responses to my original question would be most appreciated.

Sponsored Links
el21 said:
breezer said:
el21 said:

This has not answered my question at all - What a strange response this was! :eek:

Any appropriate responses to my original question would be most appreciated.

I beg to differ, since you really did type

el21 said:

to which i replied.

or to put it another way.

you asked are what cable(s) you are using and the way you propse to do it compliant with part p.

to which i pointed out part p is a building reg and has nothing to do with electrcial (as such)

the above does answer your question in respect of part p.

you still need a certificate though

Basically what breezer is trying to say is that Part P is a building reg , yes, with regards to electrical installations in special locations such as yours IE outside the house. You will need to either have it installed by a competent electrician who will provide you with a certificate . Or you can go the Local area building control route, and pay for them to inspect it at first fix and second fix and test it for you . WHat you are proposing to me soiunds fine, but if you are planning on upgrading to a 9kw hester in the future then i would run the SWA in 10mm as well just to be sure.

Hope this helps clarify things

Nick

good advice from sparkydude

if you are going to upgrade in the future always install the cable that will allow for the upgrade, as for the depth of buried swa strange as it seems its personal choice there is no reg to say how deep it should be common sense takes over, always handy to lay the yellow tape on the top of the buried cable though with danger electric cable on it.

Thanks for the advice. i plan on the LABC route with inspections.

I should have worded the original question better with regard to the regs. I just wanted advice if what I had calculated was correct.

What is it with DIYers banging in RCDs left right and center???

You only need ONE RCD protecting a circuit. Having two in a row is totally pointless.

5KW is approx 22 amps.
9KW is approx 40 amps.

Run the source cable from the non-RCD side of the main board. Use a 50 amp MCB. Use 10mm 3 core SWA, to the RCD in the garage.

A simple builders Consumer unit would be fine, as this has an RCD and room for an MCB, so you can use the most appropriate MCB for the heater you choose here.

The equipment you specced would be fine.

Use something like this: http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Consumer_Units_Index/Builders_Supply_Units/index.html in the garage, but not that brand. ;)

There is no room on the NON RCD side of the main board. Since you commented on the numbr of RCD's, Can I just rely on the main one and just run the cable from the MCB on the RCD side of the main unit, or should I put one in the garage as you recommended if I ran from the NON RCD side of the main board even if I run from the RCD side of the main board.

I did not intend to bung rcd's right left and centre!! This is a forum for help and that's all im asking for!!! This is diynot.com

el21 said:
There is no room on the NON RCD side of the main board. Since you commented on the numbr of RCD's, Can I just rely on the main one and just run the cable from the MCB on the RCD side of the main unit, or should I put one in the garage as you recommended if I ran from the NON RCD side of the main board even if I run from the RCD side of the main board.
The only problem with using the house RCD is that it protects half of your house. Therefore if a fault ever occurs on the hot tub etc, it will take out all the circuits protected by that RCD. There is an increasing move towards individual circuit RCD protection, but it is OK to have a single RCD protecting several circuits. Simply use the appropriate MCB in the main CU, and run the appropriate cable straight to the hot tub. Probably work out cheaper.

Crafty said:
el21 said:
The only problem with using the house RCD is that it protects half of your house. Therefore if a fault ever occurs on the hot tub etc, it will take out all the circuits protected by that RCD. There is an increasing move towards individual circuit RCD protection, but it is OK to have a single RCD protecting several circuits. Simply use the appropriate MCB in the main CU, and run the appropriate cable straight to the hot tub. Probably work out cheaper.

Thanks Crafty your one of the really helpful ones as is Sparkydude. I really appreciate your help.

Crafty said:
Simply use the appropriate MCB in the main CU, and run the appropriate cable straight to the hot tub.*
*Via an isolator of course! :LOL:

el21 said:
I should have worded the original question better with regard to the regs. I just wanted advice if what I had calculated was correct.
yes you should, the problem with a forum is we can only go by what you type, we are not mind readers (which is why i replied as i did)

el21 said:
Thanks Crafty your one of the really helpful ones as is Sparkydude. I really appreciate your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back