outside socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wish to install an outside twin socket (ip56) fixed directly to the house wall
Fed from a 30ma rcd and 32a mcb in consumer unit with a cable run of around 8m
This socket will be used for garden lighting and more importantly a pool heater and pump rated at 2650w total, what size cable (2.5 ?)

Sponsored Links
Firstly 2.5mm cable is only rated for about 20A ish depending on the method of installation.

Secondly this work will come under part P of the building regs and will need to be notified.

Thirdly although you seem to have some knowledge on how to do electrical work, from your post I feel that you have insufficient knowledge to be able to design a circuit. Get someone in and have it done right, don't risk the lives of those that you love.

As you say I have some knowledge
Sod part p I will be doing the job so I dot need to be reminded I am aware of all the regulations regarding notification,
One socket on wall around 8m of cable across loft (bungalow) down to existing 32a mcb protected by 30ma rcd so no hidden cable and not much circuit design needed just advice on cable size as you say 2.5 is 20ish amps (24) so I assume I need 4mm t&e
But I appreciate the advice thanks.

johnad said:
As you say I have some knowledge
s** part p I will be doing the job so I dot need to be reminded I am aware of all the regulations regarding notification

Not really the sort of attitude that's going to make people want to offer you advice.

johnad said:
One socket on wall around 8m of cable across loft (bungalow) down to existing 32a mcb protected by 30ma rcd so no hidden cable and not much circuit design needed just advice on cable size as you say 2.5 is 20ish amps (24) so I assume I need 4mm t&e
But I appreciate the advice thanks.

I assume that the existing 32A MCB protects a ring circuit, in which case the addition of this socket will be a spur and can be wired in 2.5mmsq. If it will be a dedicated circuit then you would be better protecting with a 16A MCB.

Sponsored Links
My apologies for the sarcasm I have had plenty of good advice on this forum im just getting a bit sick of the constant part p reminders we all should know about part p and if I need to know about part p I will ask im sure there are still plenty of people still doing there own wiring but some good advice will help us do a proper job,
The existing 32a mcb is spare the socket is feeding a pool with a rating of 2650w around 11a so a 16a sounds a little small for a twin socket although the other side of the socket will only be for lighting etc. the plug on the pool has an rcd fitted but I assume it’s the socket that needs the protection not just the plug.

johnad said:
The existing 32a mcb is spare the socket is feeding a pool with a rating of 2650w around 11a so a 16a sounds a little small for a twin socket although the other side of the socket will only be for lighting etc. the plug on the pool has an rcd fitted but I assume it’s the socket that needs the protection not just the plug.

Yes, the socket does need protection on account of being able to supply outdoor equipment. You might have to fit a new plug on the pool pump and heater, I've never seen an outdoor socket that will accept an RCD plug due to their size.

Re the MCB, 16A is not too small for a twin 13A socket. Not many people are aware, but a double 13A outlet is NOT rated to 26A and it is not safe to use them in this way. It isn't advisable to draw anything more than 13A combined load across both sockets for any lengthy period of time.

You certainly won't be able to use the 32A breaker to protect your new installation, this is a radial circuit and it needs to be fitted with nothing larger than a 20A MCB on 2.5mmsq.

If you want extra capacity then you need to fit two single sockets side by side which you can then wire as a ring in 2.5mmsq with 32A breaker, allowing you to draw 13A per outlet with no problems.

johnad said:
My apologies for the sarcasm I have had plenty of good advice on this forum im just getting a bit sick of the constant part p reminders we all should know about part p and if I need to know about part p I will ask im sure there are still plenty of people still doing there own wiring but some good advice will help us do a proper job,

We are not saying you are not doing a proper job, if it is notifiable then to remain within the law means it needs to be notified. Any advice on here which does advises people to break the law has got to be bad advice. I am sure there are a lot of people I hope will continue to give their advice regarding part p and remaining inside the law, at the end of the day if that is the advice given it is then up to the DIYer wether to break the law or not. Remember there are other people who read these topics who may not be aware of the law.

electronicsuk said:
If you want extra capacity then you need to fit two single sockets side by side which you can then wire as a ring in 2.5mmsq with 32A breaker, allowing you to draw 13A per outlet with no problems.

A ring seems a little overkill for two sockets.

A 4.0mm² radial would make more sense, not that I really care about the OPs project TBH

Part P is a new thing, and a hell of a lot of people simply do not know about its existence and its implications, this is why we always mention it here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back