Trap unblocker?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Arising from this topic over in electrics, can anyone tell me the purpose of this setup?

When the red knob is twisted, mains pressure cold water goes through the trap. Is this purely a device for unblocking? Seems a good idea if a little odd - certainly never seen it before?

Sponsored Links
Certainly never seen this set up before. What you have here is a prv with its dicharge connected to the trap. Is it on the hot or cold or heating pipe?

Do you have a mains unvented hw cylinder or a system heating boiler?

If so it could be the safety for one of these. If not perhaps it is a 'drain unblocker' :eek: :confused:

Drain unblocker..... :LOL: :LOL: be handy if it was ;)

What you have there is definately a PRV, Looks like its from a point of use instantanious water heater.

Not an unusual set up, fairly standard ;)

clf-gas said:
Drain unblocker..... :LOL: :LOL: be handy if it was ;)

What you have there is definately a PRV, Looks like its from a point of use instantanious water heater.

Not an unusual set up, fairly standard ;)

I second that :!:

Is there a pressure reducing valve under there somewhere as well :?:

Sponsored Links
clf-gas said:
OK I'm blonde but guessing PRV = Pressure Release Valve?

Instantaneous water heater is spot on, as ChrisR pointed out a picture showing the whole thing is posted in the original topic over in electrics.

So what does the valve actually do / supposed to do? All I've found is that you twist the red knob, it blasts a jet of water through the U-bend! I'm failing to see how it has anything to do with the heater as this set-up is in the cold supply pipe before it ever gets to that!

The PRV should only operate (automatically) if the water heater pressure exceeds 6 bar. It should discharge externally via a copper discharge pipe. The set up you have is illegal (water regulations) and might cause water waste and contamination of the mains water supply.

is that not a pressure relief valve? as opposed to reducing?

sorry misread the post pressure relief already been stated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back