Help with slow running bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've recently moved into a late 1960's house which has a whirlpool bathroom quite installed. The suite is quite old (as I found when trying to find replacement valves and manifolds for the failed whirlpool system), but looks like a Victoria Plum setup, and seems to have been quite an expensive one when bought!

The bath has a remote drain (which now works), but when using the shower, the water steadily starts to back up in the bath. after a 10-15 minutes shower, the water is above your feet and takes around 5-10 minutes to drain down after turning the shower off.

I've flushed through the pipes and they seem clear - even put drain unblocker down it, but to no avail. The pipe is 40mm waste and runs the length of the bath (waster and shower is on the opposite wall to the basin and soil pipe) before a 90 degree turn and then carries on another 1.5 metres to the inside soil pipe, in this run the basin waste also connects (this runs without any issues).

The pipe under the bath has got a slight angle on towards the outside wall, but has a shallow running trap as the bath plug waste has an integrated horizontal exit with the bath overflow on the other side of it (hope that makes sense!) I was looking at fitting a waterless trap but see they aren't recommended for baths due to needing to be cleaned out. I was looking at cutting a hole in the floor under the bath to allow room for a shallow trap - but obviously the design of the remote control waste is skuppering a lot of these options.

Can anyone suggest the best option here? do i need an AAV on the bath waste, as I'm aware it's quite a long run? I don't really want to replace the whole bath waste as it works and is quite an expensive part of the fittings (the open-close knob itself is metal, not plastic!) plus i'm not sure if that will be the fix as I don't know if it has ever drained properly!

Any help would be appreciated - was contemplating replacing the bath waste pipe with larger diameter and a high flow trap, but the location of it all and said odd drain exit is causing me issues!
IMG_1174.JPG
IMG_1175.JPG
IMG_1172.JPG
IMG_1173.JPG

Sponsored Links
Human hair and detergent from soap etc gathers under the waste and slows drainage. Likewise there will be a build up of general gunge at the bottom of any traps in the pipe work. Taking the waste pipework apart apart and flushing it through should improve things. Try that first before sorting out air locks.

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back