Lead pipe replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently found that I have about 6 ft. of lead pipe between the stopcock and a plastic pipe ( installed when house mods. carried out ) Can someone advise me as to how the lead pipe is connected to the stopcock. If its just some kind of compression joint or will it be soldered on?
House was built in 1901...

Sponsored Links
what does it look like has been done? I thinkk you will find that it has been soldered on

I havnt dug it up yet.. its under concrete.. down a long pipe...

Hi Gees,

Is the stopcock inside the house or are you referring to the shutoff valve outside? The lead pipe will be connected to the plastic pipe with a lead-loc this looks like a large compression joint. Take care if you decide to break this joint not to undo the lead side unless you have a new one or at least a new set of sprung washers and 'O' rings. Is the stopcock brass with compression fittings or is it bulbous and grey looking? in which case it will have been sweated (soldered) on.

Chippie

Sponsored Links
Hi Gees,

Is the stopcock inside the house or are you referring to the shutoff valve outside? The lead pipe will be connected to the plastic pipe with a lead-loc this looks like a large compression joint. Take care if you decide to break this joint not to undo the lead side unless you have a new one or at least a new set of sprung washers and 'O' rings. Is the stopcock brass with compression fittings or is it bulbous and grey looking? in which case it will have been sweated (soldered) on.

Chippie

Its the outside stopcock just inside my property. It looks as if its a brass type but its down a hole and without digging up the concrete I couldnt say exactly what it looks like. If its a compression fitting I should be able to replace the pipe easily but if its sweated on I have no other way exept call a plumber. The lead pipe IS connected to the plastic with a big compression fitting cos I can see that bit ok. Thats how i know that there is lead from there to the stopcock.

just a thought, if the lead pipe is not on your side of the stopcock, you may be able to get the water company to do it F.O.C but that assumes that ther is no main stopcock in the street.

But even if it is your responsability, all a plumber will do is dig up the whole pipe (which you can do, saving you £££££ and then fit a blue pipe (forgotten what its called) these blue pipes have plastic compression fittings and are very easy to install

Cheers Breezer. It looks like a digging up job no matter what I end up doing. So tomorrow I'll get the Kango hammer out and dig the yard up.

at least you have a kango. But do remeber today (SUNDAY) most DIY shops will be CLOSED, so be carefull!

Well the concrete is up and the hole is dug. The pipe is sweated to the stopcock. One good thing though, the stopcock is leaking.... So I phoned the water company and they will be out on tuesday morning to fix it. So I might end up having the lead replaced free of charge? Watch this space.

When they did mine there was no charge from the main pipe to my stopcock as it belong to the water company.The stopcock to your house is your responsibility.

I want to replace my water main which is currently spilt off a lead pipe with my stopcock just after the split. I've got poor water pressure because of it.

Are you sure that the water company is responsible for the main from the exterior water point (located in my front garden) to my stopcock?

I was under the impression that the water company's responsibility stopped at the valve in the garden and I was responsible from then on...

That's right,the main water pipe I'm referring to is the one under the road and not your water main !!

Found some details on website to make it more clearer,

The water company is responsible for the water main in the road. It is also normally responsible for the section of supply pipe that runs from the water main to the boundary of your property. This may be to a stop tap under the road or pavement.
In most cases the property owner is responsible for the service pipe that runs from the company stop tap on the main or supply pipe to the property. If you own the property it is your responsibility to keep this pipe in good order in the same way in which you are responsible for plumbing in the house.
Most modern houses have their own service pipe. In many older houses however, the service pipe is shared with one or more other houses. The occupiers have joint responsibility for this pipe.

When I did mine I dug out further to the boundary line & the water company fitted a new stopcock with a adapter ready for a water meter if needed for free.If you have a water meter fitted to your adapter they will charge for the meter , although some area are doing a special deals or no charge for this as they are trying to force you into having one.In my area they can't make you have a water meter unless you have sold your property,when my next door neighbour sold their property the water company come the next day and fitted the water meter!!

Once again cheers masona.

Would the fact that my water is supplied from a 15mm split off of the lead main that carries on upstairs explain my low water pressure? If I lay in a new 22mm main from the water company's valve in the garden (so it has two pipes leaving it rather than 1) increase my pressure?

Has it always been like this or just recently? You are better off if you can use 22mm as much as possible.The problem could be your stopcock for low pressure or the lead pipe scaling causing restricted flow.When the water company replaced my stopcock,I now have to turn it down as I'm getting too much pressure!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back