That Glass like finish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I consider myself to be a half decent plasterer and have never had an complaints about my work, i have been plastering for about two years and my walls are lovely and flat, but there is a slight thing that bugs me.

I can do a wall and it comes out perfect with a super smooth finish then when i do the next wall its flat and smooth but doesn't have that glass like finish, what am i doing wrong and why is it so inconsistant ???

I only use the best tools for the job in this case Marshalltown trowels and hawk and i also use a proper mixer and not an electirc drill.

Please help as this is just a personel thing thats winding me up... :cry:

Sponsored Links
I'm no pro, but reading a lot of the other posts on here the glass finish you're referring to is a bad things because it's difficult to paint afterwards.

I believe you get that glass/polished finish from over-troweling.

Yeh i know what your saying but i have a job coming up for a friend of mine soon and he wants to leave the room as bare plaster and not paint it, so i no he would prefer a glass finish.

Yeh i know what your saying but i have a job coming up for a friend of mine soon and he wants to leave the room as bare plaster and not paint it, so i no he would prefer a glass finish.

Kingandy is correct, you don’t want a glass like finish, paint won't adhere to it at all well. Your friends request is a bit strange, :eek: I don’t see how you will ever get a newly plastered wall to look anything other than what it is, small blemishes & all; & unless it’s sealed, there will always be a small dust residue every time you touch it! Why doesn’t he just paint it the nearest pink or grey colour match to the plaster?

Sponsored Links
not really sure to be honest Richard, he has a job were he is given the title of "trand analyst", and according to him this is the latest this to hav, who am i to question him.

glass like finishes are not only reluctant to receive paint but are a little bit 'tensile'.

they may crack once painted.

go easy on the dry-trowelling. ;)

he has a job were he is given the title of "trand analyst", and according to him this is the latest this to hav, who am i to question him.
WTF is one of them! :eek: Still if it doesn't turn out right you can always tell him having mistakes on show is even cooler! :rolleyes:

Over trowelling will give you a polished finish but it's a bit unpredictable & you can end up with a marbling effect on parts of the wall. Just a long shot & I've no idea if it will work but you could try a little washing up liquid in your water spray bottle (assuming you use one!) just to give it a little bit extra lube.

stan i think your mate might be thinking he is gonna get venetion plastering (marble looking finish) which is trendy only because of the price, but can look nice with the right colour. It will look like a room that has'nt been painted and not like venetion plaster.

the way ive always looked at it is if the painters are happy im not trying hard enough, adding lime gives a lovely finish but it would take forever to go off , best bet is watch other plasterers watch what they are doing different and their tools .

Are you sure he doesn't want Venetian Plaster ?
This seems like the only thing he would want without painting ?

Venetian%20Plaster.JPG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back