Pink Grip discontinued? What's best alternative?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had just go into using pink grip and Screwfix no longer sell it. Is it no longer available? I liked the thick consistency and sticking power. What is a good alternative of similar style?

Sponsored Links
on test, Which found it was not as good as the best.

The best buys (in order) were:

Wickes Forget Nails (High Strength)
Evo-stik Liquid Nails
UniBond No More Nails (Ultra) (which is expensive but is the only Best Buy that claims to be gap filling, over paintable and flexible.

JohnD said:
on test, Which found it was not as good as the best.

The best buys (in order) were:

Wickes Forget Nails (High Strength)
Evo-stik Liquid Nails
UniBond No More Nails (Ultra) (which is expensive but is the only Best Buy that claims to be gap filling, over paintable and flexible.

I expect the Evo-Stick and UniBond products are expensive and even the Wickes product is likely to cost more that Pink Grip. I don't want to pay more than £2 per tube!

Sponsored Links
I always been happy with the green gripfill, cost me £2, I don't know how the gripfill did in the tests

Everbuild Pink Grip SF £1.68
We found the Pink Grip SF very awkward to use – fitting the cartridge into the gun was tricky, and opening the tube and cutting the aperture were also difficult.

This is a cartridge adhesive for use with a standard applicator gun, and it has no resealing cap.

Once opened, we found that it was not easy to apply, and it was hard to squeeze out the correct dosage. The glue is strong enough to fix a pine shelf to a wall and support 20kg of additional weight before failure. It can be used to fill gaps, but is not paintable or flexible.

The application instructions are detailed, with plenty of information on the products suitability for various different surfaces.

Pros : clear instructions

Cons : not easy to use, not over paintable, no resealing cap

JohnD said:
Everbuild Pink Grip SF £1.68
We found the Pink Grip SF very awkward to use – fitting the cartridge into the gun was tricky, and opening the tube and cutting the aperture were also difficult.

This is a cartridge adhesive for use with a standard applicator gun, and it has no resealing cap.

Once opened, we found that it was not easy to apply, and it was hard to squeeze out the correct dosage. The glue is strong enough to fix a pine shelf to a wall and support 20kg of additional weight before failure. It can be used to fill gaps, but is not paintable or flexible.

The application instructions are detailed, with plenty of information on the products suitability for various different surfaces.

Pros : clear instructions

Very interesting but lots of us swear by it :)

JohnD said:

everbuild-pinkgrip.jpg

They got that wrong :rolleyes:

Came across this when looking for info about N More Nails.
My dad once supplied Pink Grip, always wondered what it was!
Not sure if its still in stock or the price. PM me if you would like more info!

James

So what? The general market for these products (especially Pink Grip and Gripfill) is trade joiners and the like who will often buy by the box/carton. Sorry, but a resealable cap simply isn't a selling point to me (and the other market leader, Gripfill green shares this same "problem"). Then again I used 6 tubes of Pink Grip today fixing skirtings. Not an untypical day's usage. The last half tube is still in the gun and the end of the nozzle has been sealed with duct tape which will hold it until tomorrow morning. This isn't meant to come across at me having a go at the DIYer, it is meant to show how vacuous the reviewers' comments appear in my eyes

Pink Grip is funny stuff. If it is fresh and not too cold it squeezes out quite well I find, although it will cause you to buckle cheap, weak guns (such a the joke shop ones sold by at least one DIY superstore chain - the one owned by a supermarket). If I have to buy a tube or two from the local DIY shop and it's been on the shelf for a few months I often find it won't squeeze-out half as well. So fresh is better, IMHO. I find the same sort of problems on very cold days (although Gripfill green is just the same as it happens). BTW, interesting use of the word "dosage" in the review..........

Overall my own personal favourite is Gripfill yellow. This solvent-free white compound is much runnier than standard Gripfill green or Pink Grip, allowing easier repositioning, it is so much easier to clean off the hands (or tools) and it can be easily wiped off finished surfaces (making it ideal for pre-lacquered hardwood skirtings, for example). Downside is that it doesn't have such an immediate grab as the other two and it takes longer to go off.

You pays yer money, etc, etc.........

you're a bit slow on the uptake, aren't you?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back