How do you remove plastic floor tiles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just moved into a house with plastic floor tiles stuck to the wooden floor in one of the rooms. How do I get them off? – they seem to be stuck down with a black tarry substance.

Sponsored Links
Try warming them up with a hot air gun whilst prising them off. Be warned - this may be a bit smelly, so open a window or something.

The idea of using the hot air gun is good and works. The problem I faced was how to get rid of the black tarry adhesive afterwards - it was still tacky and could not be sanded out. Any ideas how to remove this horrible stuff.

Sponsored Links
I had the same problem with my stairs when i pulled up the old carpeting i found black tar on them. I think it was used to glue down plastic stair pads at one time. I used a standard paint remover, however this will remove the finish from the wood also.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back