Worcester 28cdi problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
People seem to have had various problems with their Worcesters. Mine is slightly different. The shower goes coldish for a few seconds, then heats up again. That of itself doesn't really bother me but I mention it in case it's relevant to the real issue, which is with the central heating. In the morning it usually comes on no problem. Sometimes, however, it "clicks" to come on but then doesn't light and turns straight off again. It does this over and over again. However, if you turn it off and fiddle with the knobs, it usually works fine.

It would seem the diverter valve is often the issue with Worcesters, and maybe that's my problem. If so, should I call out the Worcester people? I'm certainly not going to tackle it myself and they have some sort of scheme whereby you pay (I think) £100 for the call out but get 3 parts free. I know some heating people aren't that familiar with these boilers and I don't want to pay up and not solve the problem.

Anyhow, any observations will be very welcome.

Sponsored Links
If so, should I call out the Worcester people? I'm certainly not going to tackle it myself and they have some sort of scheme whereby you pay (I think) £100 for the call out but get 3 parts free.

I know some heating people aren't that familiar with these boilers and I don't want to pay up and not solve the problem.
Anyhow, any observations will be very welcome.

I think you will find the Worcester repair is closer to £200 !

Any competent heating engineer will be able to diagnose the fault in your boiler because thats what we do!

As with any profession there are some who are not very good! You should not pay anything if someone cannot diagnose the fault. The more honest people will never try to charge you if they have not performed.

Ask if they have a no-fix no-fee policy ! That will sort out the men from the boys.

As far as worcester are concerned, I went to diagnose the problem yesterday and as we have the part in stock I will return and replace it this afternoon.

Not quite so sure about the Worcester 400 I am going to though.

Tony

That's interesting. Is that something I could sort myself, and if so how?

Sponsored Links
The going-cold thing is nearly always down to dirt in the secondary heat exchanger.

Intermittent start-failures are much harder to find, especially if they won't happen when you're standing in front of them, which is usually the case!
I suggest if anyone wants a free boiler repair they get Tony/Agile to do it then tell him it still does it once a week then demand their money back. Obviously he automatically repays everyone!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back