I.E.E. Regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know the reason for the new I.E.E. Regs concerning extending ring circuits. Apparently it is now against their regulations to extend ring circuits with 30amp junction boxes as I have done for over 30 years. We are now told to crimp the wires! Is there a reasonable explaination or are they simply taking matters to the extreem. Don't get me wrong, they have brought in quite justifiable regulations in the past, especially concerning earthing practices, but I now feel they are making regulations unnecessarily. Perhaps I'm wrong, after all I'm just a humble builder, but I try my up most to follow their guidelines for the little bits and pieces of electrical work I do. For someone doing it full time it must be a nightmare!

Sponsored Links
perhaps it is to stop people from getting a screw loose, personally i do not like crimps

It can't be to stop people getting a screw loose, or we'd be in a situation of crimping every thing, socket connections, mcb's, rcd's
etc - ie totally impracticle. I would imagine it's a small margin of heat or resistance tolerance (something obscurely technical), but i'm only guessing. Was any problems ever encountered with the old system as none of my houses have ever burnt down using this method!

I also think that this amendment is a bit silly because the wires are more likely to come apart through crimping rather than at a terminal (i've tested it). There is also the likelyhood of the crimp not being compressed enough which could cause arking. Think we need an explaination from the I.E.E.

Sponsored Links
have been crimping for a gas company for many years. if proper ratchet crimps are calibrated they are ok, but the diy ones you can get in Halfords are crap.

their reasoning is the brass threads which strip if too many cables are forced into a terminal. This obviously leaves loose connections liable to arcing. In a socket / spur etc you can't physically get the cables in the holes, but is a junction box you can.

makes me think how many builders will be doing bits and piece with the crap crimps. Seems that these connections could be potentially leathal, stick to the junction boxes!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back