LEDS - anyone know what developments are likely ?

The OLED light panels look very promising.
I like the idea of having something flexible - imagine a roller blind that lights up. In the daytime light comes from the window, at night time it comes from the blind.

Its a nice idea except that in most houses the windows are actually poorly positioned to light rooms (for obvious structural reasons), might be more viable to spread it around more. They are talking about being able to ink jet spray the stuff onto flexible sheets, - Right, I want a matt white roll of it with self adhesive backing large enough to cover an entire ceiling please...

The ESL stuff looks like a mini CRT lamp, be interesting to see one in real life.

Sponsored Links
In the kitchen and bathroom, probably hallway too, I'd love a ceiling with a gentle uniform glow, but without the naffness of a suspended one.

The ESL stuff looks like a mini CRT lamp, be interesting to see one in real life.
A CRT is just what it is, albeit with different characteristics from a display.

I think it'll be a while before you see one IRL - they're still experimenting with formats other than the initial R30 replacement they plan to launch next year (that's a US R30 - a little larger than our R80). Apparently there are 100's of millions of R30 luminaires in the USA, with no viable alternative to incandescent, and that's what they are going after initially.

Sponsored Links
In the kitchen and bathroom, probably hallway too, I'd love a ceiling with a gentle uniform glow, but without the naffness of a suspended one.

I think that sort of system would be applicable to any room - doesn't stop you having additional sources of lighting in fact it would give much more flexibility for decorative/trendy lighting that was also efficient as they wouldn't need to be a main light source anymore.

Right now the options for nice, efficient lighting for people who aren't ripping their whole house apart are far too limited. Roll on proper (not packaged up as GU10s) LEDs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back