Hot water problem with single tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, hope that someone can advise or point me in the right direction.

Recently (in the last week), we've noticed that the flow of hot water to a downstairs tap (in the kitchen) has been greatly reduced, and last night, it became non-existent. The hot water tap in the bathroom where the combi boiler sits is fine, as is the hot water tap in the en-suite, which is upstairs from the combi.

I had a look last night, and there are no obvious leaks, but that doesn't mean there aren't any. I've found that if I put the central heating on for a while, and run another hot tap, then some flow of water returns for a short while.

There are no reported issues with the boiler (ie no warning lights), and as my plumbing and heating experience goes as far as turning a tap on, I think it's time to call in a professional.

In the mean time, do the symptoms suggest an obvious answer?

Boiler info:

Baxi Potterton Main combi 30HE
Fitted brand new around 3.5 years ago.
Located downstairs
Not serviced since install (I know, I know.....)

Thanks in advance everyone

Sponsored Links
If all other taps are ok it's more than reasonable to suspect the tap, or pipe to it, blocked/restricted/seized.

If all other taps are ok it's more than reasonable to suspect the tap, or pipe to it, blocked/restricted/seized.

Thanks twgas; I should have added in my OP that it's a mixer tap, and the cold flow from it is fine, so I'm assuming that the blockage/seize is before the point of mixing.

As a non-plumber, I can't fathom out why there sometimes is a flow (albeit poor), and sometimes none at all - I would assume that it's all or nothing (again, I'm a non-plumber)

Cheers

Could be the jumper come out of its guide, this may cause it to sometimes open a little and so let some water out.

Sponsored Links
Pop out the tap insert and you'll probably find a well squashed washer, thats preventing the tap from opening properly.
John :)

Thanks all for your suggestions - I'll take a look at the tap tonight if I get a chance, and see what sized washer I need. Will update this post when I succeed or turn the kitchen into a water feature.

Update: thanks for the assistance everyone -took the offending tap apart, washer was fine. Re-assembled, and the tap works a treat. Assume that something was sticking.

So a tap fixed, and I've learnt something new too

Cheers all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back