combi boiler no water from hot taps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Vokera Compact combi boiler. My central heating is working but there is no water flow at all from hot taps in kitchen or bathroom. Very cold here last night so may be frozen pipes.

Sponsored Links
Very likely indeed, so turn up the central heating and open any cupboard doors where pipes may be just to let the heat soak in.
Keep the taps slightly open and cross your fingers that all should be well in a while!
Of course, its possible that the cold pipe into the boiler is frozen so see if you can identify the pipe route from the stopcock to the boiler.
Hope its not too long for you to wait!
John :)

Thanks Burnerman for your swift reply. The boiler is located in a garage attached to house so turning heat up would not effect the pipes that are likely to be frozen. Is it safe to leave heating turned on. The boiler covered by maintenance contract with Scottish Gas I'm still trying to get through to them.

Check that all of your radiators are warm or hot and keep them that way....even overnight keep the heating ticking over and all will be well.
The domestic hot water is on a different system really and not connected to the heating - you'll just have to wait for things to thaw.
Anyway, just in case, find out where your house stopcock is, and see that it works (plan B) but I'm sure you'll be ok.
Maybe you could put a fan heater in your garage for a bit?
If your house has airbricks with the possibility of a water pipe close by its perfectly ok to cover them for a short while to prevent excessive draughts chilling the underfloor area.
Be lucky!

Sponsored Links
Thanks again John, the radiators are hot and I've located the stopcock. I will do all that you have suggested because I think it may be a while before engineer will get through to here as there is still couple feet of snow lying on roads.
Hope you have a nice xmas.
Raymund

Hi John thats hot water flowing again thank god, oh and you. I kept moving fan heater to blow on different parts of pipe seems to have done the trick. I've added some extra insulation all along the pipes so hopefully wont happen again.

Nice one Raymund and I'm so pleased that things are ok again - I expect its a nightmare trying to get an engineer in your neck of the woods at the moment.....its bad enough here!
If you identified where the cold spot actually was, a small electric tube heater can keep the frost at bay - and they cost about the same as a light bulb to run.
Regards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back