Removing top floor ceiling for aesthetic effect? Good idea?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In removing all the old lathe and plaster, I can now see into the roofspace. I'm in a top floor maisonette and the roof space is explicitly included in the lease.

Thinking instead of plasterboarding, just removing it (there are no trusses).

Wondering if anyone else has done this? I've already removed some walls, so will have a big 4.2m x 12m room (kitchen/diner and living room), with 2.6m high ceiling.

The roof is 2.1m high on the party wall side, sloping down to meet the top of the outside wall (so it's half a roof really, the other side is for the next door flat)

Removing the ceiling would therefore mean having a ceiling 4.7m on the left, sloping down to 2.6m on the right (over a width of 4.2m)

Another option is to have a 'fake' open roof, which would be symmetrical, and the 'peak' would be only 1m above the removed ceiling, and sloping down both sides.

Wondering if it would make the room feel more spacious, or just too open?

Marcos

Sponsored Links
In removing all the old lathe and plaster, I can now see into the roofspace. I'm in a top floor maisonette and the roof space is explicitly included in the lease.

Thinking instead of plasterboarding, just removing it (there are no trusses).

Wondering if anyone else has done this? I've already removed some walls, so will have a big 4.2m x 12m room (kitchen/diner and living room), with 2.6m high ceiling.

The roof is 2.1m high on the party wall side, sloping down to meet the top of the outside wall (so it's half a roof really, the other side is for the next door flat)

Removing the ceiling would therefore mean having a ceiling 4.7m on the left, sloping down to 2.6m on the right (over a width of 4.2m)

Another option is to have a 'fake' open roof, which would be symmetrical, and the 'peak' would be only 1m above the removed ceiling, and sloping down both sides.

Wondering if it would make the room feel more spacious, or just too open?

Marcos

STOP.

Go have a cup of tea, then read some of the posts on this forum regarding triangulation of roofs and the importance of a roof/ceiling joist. :eek:

Sponsored Links
And also consider how much more it will cost to heat this new area.

And do check the lease- if for instance it prevents you from using the loft area as a habitable space, then what you are considering do could fall foul of the 'rules'. Another area would be fire and the possible result of a fire in your flat being able to pass over to the next flat.
Removing the ceiling and having exposed timbers could be a double no for fire regs.

As to it being a good use of space then I think it depends ! Have any other properties done it, what area the property is in, the possibility of having velux windows in the roof line and the big one- what value could it add doing the work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back