minimum concrete thickness?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My dear old dad has set his heart on redoing his garage floor with a fresh 2 inches of concrete over the top to smooth out the uneven surface as he wheels trolleys about on it. I told him this will not work and will crack up.

The existing concrete floor has been down about 20 years and is dry and solid. What would be the minimum thickness you could get away with? i was thinking a good clean, sbr and 3 1/2 inches? do you reckon it would take ok? Could you get away with 3?

There is never any vehicles in the garage so its really just enough to make sure it doesn't crack up. The area is about 8m x 3.5m

Any advice? Oh and I don't want to screed it. Cheers

Sponsored Links
3" would do with some rollmesh and fibres for good luck.

Could dump some self levelling compound onto it?

*edit* thinking about it, would be easier to just replace the wheels on the trolleys for better larger ones. Got a major supermarket nearby? Set of 4 rubber wheels for a pound :LOL:

Problem with 2" of concrete is not so much the structural issue (on good solid surfaces) but that thin layers don't flow well and it can be difficult getting a good level surface. 3" ought to be ok but you will need an additive to improve flow and a vibro plate might be useful as well.

Sponsored Links
i wonder if quarry tiles set in mortar would give a better-wearing surface? Concrete always wears unevenly and never stops making dust.

good floor paint for concrete is very expensive :(

Just use the same stuff you use on the gnomes. :LOL:

But seriously, the £15 International brand (or equiv) doesn't do a bad job, as long as there are no greasy patches and you pressure wash beforehand. Watery PVA and a single coat and my floor does the trick.

I am just planning on floating it roughly by hand, what do the rest of you reckon on the thickness? You think a good wet up 3'' would work?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back