Laying concrete on brick floor

D

deajam

I have a brick floor in my out house (3"x7") and I want to lay a plastic sheet to stop the damp and concrete over the top. The only thing is due to the step in the doorway I can only lay 1 1/2 inches of concrete on top.

Is this thick enough for general traffic and what mix?

Should I lay a thin layer of sand on the brick first?

If not what is the minimum i should use?

Sponsored Links
Less than 40mm will be too thin on an unpredictable substrate, particularly if you do need to sand blind first.

The truth is though, you may get away with it but it is very risky. I have seen thinner screeds survive and have been very stubborn to remove. But these were laid direct to the concrete.

I would be inclined to remove the bricks and maybe insulate as well as lay hard core and dpm.

Thank you for replying. That all makes good sence to me. It's probably best to do it properly in the first place like you suggest. :D

It'll give me a nice little stash of bricks too.

Sponsored Links
if you need a save traffic at your door step you should use the thick wall of the concrete, it would be very much fine other than the plastic sheet

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back