The Part P scam

Sponsored Links
Yes in this area we have council MOT stations.

And if you don't like Part P then write to your MP and complain as I did. Also register your objections on government website as I did. If you have not then why not? No good complaining on here.

I am not against Part P but I also think to do £50 worth of work and be charged £100+ for the LABC to look at it is OTT. I am sure with some of the large jobs they attend they lose money and for them it evens out but I think you should be charged again if it fails as with an MOT and it is the people which require the re-visits again and again who have bumped up the fees.

So I remove the work surfaces do all the electrics I like and then replace them so while doing the work there are no food preparation surfaces.

Or it will be one of the 100's of jobs I planned to do before 2004.

I can't see why an utility room does not need Part P and a Kitchen does. What is there about have food preparation areas that make it more dangerous than any other room with sinks and large electric usage items.

As to new circuit it seems Part P does not use same definition as BS7671:2008 and the use of FCU is not considered as being a new circuit!

So the one I quoted was instead of have a 4 way extension lead lying on work top where water can be spilt on it I want to put two screws in the wall and clip it onto the screws then use some clips and hammer them in to clip cable out of the way. Now it is fixed so I would with rules have to pay the council £100+ to nail in a few cable clips? Yes and I am really going to do that.

When they did visit from LABC they had no test set. How can they know if it's OK when they don't even push the button on the RCD.

As you rightly said it is a complete rip off.

It's the pricing structure that is wrong.
Should be like an MOT for car. If it fails you pay for a re-test if not done while inspector still on site.
That way the price can be dropped without losing money.
Also where an installation certificate is provided and the inspector only needs to test a sample then there should be a lower fee to where no test data is submitted.
The big thing is very few jobs reach the £1000 minimum size for lowest fee bracket and it needs a £100 and £500 job price adding to scale. That way they could charge a realistic fee for small jobs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back