tile on tile

MK1

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to lay tiles on a terrace area over existing tiles.does anyone know of the best way to seal the existing tiles and should a new screed be put down before lasying the new tiles?

Sponsored Links
By 'terrace area' do you mean an exterior area exposed to rain, frost etc?
And are your existing tiles ceramic or other smooth-surfaced material?

Assuming the answer to both these questions is yes, are you really sure you want to risk the 'tiling over tiles' thing? Ceramic surfaces can prove to be disastrously poor substrates no matter how much PVA you slosh over them, particularly when water soaks through your new tile layer (via grout/ tiny gaps in grout etc) and freezes overnight to prise each new tile up by time the sun rises...

Removing existing tiles is usually pretty quick, whether with hammer and bolster or with SDS roto-stop and tile lifting chisel bit, and certainly very satisfying. A layer of exterior screed/ leveler can follow i.e. a two part acrylic mix or equivalent (see BAL or Ardex sites for good examples) and then you can tile to your heart's content on a decent flat stable substrate.

If you've definitely decided that stripping the existing tiles is not an option then I guess you could try a waterproof screed on decent exterior PVA, paying great attention to sealing up the edges of the area, and to ensuring excellent drainage off it. Assuming of course that your existing tiles are stable and not already 'lifting'.

Good luck.

Many thanks Mr.Autonomous......
appreciate your assistance on this subject.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back