Is my window fitted correctly?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I had new upvc double glazed windows fitted 2 years ago and have recently noticed one othe small windows has over 1cm of movement and didn't appear to be fixed to the wall with anything. I called the fitter who came round while I was out today and said he fixed the problem from the outside of the house (said he'd re-packed it?).

The window still moves so I called him up and he said it's because the foam isn't set and won't be for a couple of days due to the weather and smaller windows aren't fixed to the wall with screws, they're just foamed in.

This doesn't seem very secure to me - couldn't a burglar just cut out the foam with a sharp blade and remove the window? Is this right or am I being fed a line?

The window is 90cm x 103cm.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Its not un common to fix windows with foam only, once it dries it'll happily hold a small window so when the fitter says smaller windows aren't fixed with screws although correct i wouldn't class a window 900mm x 1030mm as small, at 900mm wide theres plenty of room to get a drill in to fix it, its this reason windows are foamed in[/b]

Same thing happened on 2 of our windows.
Some cowboys don't put enough screws in to save time.
The initial silicon sealing holds the window in place for a bit so you don't notice.

Ours were so untidy that they left a few of the big screws behind so I added one or two and that has solved it.

Have you checked the sealing inside and out?
I bet their sealing needs re-doing now and having that done will also reduce the movement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back