lining paper !!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
having read loads of posts on this forum re lining paper ,i feel many of you give the wrong advice rearding hanging lining paper,ie the assumption that proper decorators apply it horizontally ,could i ask why ??? .probably because that is what is taught and is read in books .dosnt mean its right ,the size of lining paper nowadays is larger than the finished paper,or havnt you noticed ,thus joints dont really collide .horizontal seems old fashioned now .also what do you purists do when you line {horizontally} around returns/curtain latts etc on a typical window ....its got to look messy and be needless .i am a proffesional decorator with 30 years experience and do 100% domestic quality work .proof can be given to anyone on request

Sponsored Links
Its widely acknowledged in the industry that you cross line for finishing paper, i was taught to do it that way (and he is a senior lecturer and consultant) but some line vertically and providing the seems don't meet(but why risk it)? fair play to them. Takes longer to line vertically or it does for me anyway. I hang it vertically on reveals leaving about 60mm extra which i cut about every 20-30 mm then when dry rub down the angle and you get a perfect corner.
Think its a case of live and let live you do it your way i do it mine.

fair enough your reply ,i know its industry standard ,i too was taught that for level 2/3 ,nvq in 2000,i still think its a hark back to when it must have been the same wittdh as finished paper ,maybe best to agree that whatever lends its self best to the situation, its a personal choice thing , just wanted to provoke discussion on realing off what is told /taught to us ,personally with 30 years in the field ,i have had to make a lot of decisions/choices ,i dont always follow the book ,but still all is well and experiance teaches you the right way .

Yeah you make a good point 'the book' is well read but doesn't cover every scenario. I think its always best to use the methods that we are comfortable with and as long as the job is up to standard its all good. I do see a lot of advice that contradict things i was taught and personally wouldn't consider but dec's that use these methods seem to swear by them so you can't knock 'em for it really, as you probably have yourself i've also followed the odd 'painter' that doesn't even know there is a 'book' and thats when i start to get the hump!

Sponsored Links
Yeah I tend to line in what direction suits me / the job. like recently i was too lazy to go home and pick up a scaffold baton for cross lining so I lined vertical. Tho there are occasions where care should be taken that the finish paper when returning corners and matching up pattern wont make the joints correspond.

TBH In my forty plus yrs of decorating I never ever come across lining paper(22 ¼ ") that was the same size as finish paper.(20 ½ ")
;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back