System tool?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just got a flash up window on the pc claiming I had loads of harmful nasties and some critical.
A window with system tool flashed up and was conducting a scan, than asking me to remove nastie, but would not unless I Activated it, then gave me option to activate or carry on unprotected.
What is this all about?
Am I danger or am I being had over?
Now I am doing scans with anti spyware MSE and comodo.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like one of those annoying pop ups telling you your computer is infected and needs a scan with xxxxx product to fix it. Then you find , you have to pay. I always trust my antivirus and malware thingummyjig to sort my HD out. ;) ;)

I think your right.
I googled system tool and seems so
System Tool is a rogue security program from the same family as Security Tool. It pretends to be a legitimate antivirus program, but actually it is nothing more but a scam which may also be called System Tool 2011 or System Tool 2.20. The rogue program is distributed through the use of fake online scanners, bogus websites and other malicious software. Once installed, it will pretend to scan your computer for malware and then it will state that your computer is infected with spyware, adware, Trojans and other viruses. Finally, it will prompt you to pay for a full version of the program to remove supposedly found infections from your computer. It uses the same payment pages as Security Tool virus. Don't pay for this rogue program. It won't protect your computer. Instead, please remove System Tool 2011 from your computer immediately. Please use the removal instructions outlined below. You can choose to remove this virus manually or using an automatic System Tool removal tool.
Above quote was taken from this site http://www.2-spyware.com/remove-system-tool.html

Now they have a removal tool for this application, but I have not installed System Tool.
Is it worth using this tool and is it a trusted download.
Bearing mind;
I have not installed it but the alert has appeared a couple times last night during very short period of use, I have done scans with
super anti-spyware
MSE
and malwarebytes anti-malware
and no problems have been flagged up also done a pc sweep with ccleaner.
But the PC seems to be running much slower than normal, should I be doing something else?

Sponsored Links
Not sure if I need a removal tool as I never actually downloaded/activated the program. So don't think ones needed.
The original frustration was that the pop page came up a couple times in a very short period and I did not want this happen every 10 minutes.
Since I have done a full system scan for malware, spyware and viruses.
Plus a PC clean/sweep and defrag.
Nothing was flagged up on the scans, the PC seems to be working quicker than it was, but not overall happy with it's performance and the pop up alert has not returned.
I also downloaded AVG and did a scan with that, not sure if this will conflict with any over security programs I have running?
But thanks for all the input.

If the thing can run every so often then it resides within your system.
Perhaps it is creating an illusion of being AV malware, but is actually monitoring your key presses and all the stuff you wouldn't want it to do.
Somehow, someone, invited 'it' into your mc by careless clicking or by other subterfuge.
The question is, how do we / you know 'tis gone apart from having no awkward pop-ups or redirects?

You may as well go here :-

Try 'em all, you, as the rest of us, will have learned something in the finality.

Could try - In future.
Geswall freeby :- http://www.gentlesecurity.com/downloads_geswall.html

Who knows ? It may be good for you !!

-0-

At the time of the alerts, I was using the PC.
I was doing some engineering calcs on ventilation ducting using an online calculator.
For the life in me, I can't remember the name of the site I was on.
But that is when the alert popped up, at first I thought I had loads of nasties as this page seemed to be doing an automatic scan without any prompting from me and a dignostic appeared claiming I had all sorts of harmful stuff on my PC and it was important to remove them.
Then I smelt a rat and closed the page and the website I was on, but after a short period about ten minutes later, the page appeared again.
I had not returned to the previous website, again a scan was visibly being made with no prompting.

Could be a daft question!
Would I need to download malwarebytes, if I already had the download whilst in safe mode of just run the scan from my programs?

Sponsored Links
Back