extending electric cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have removed an internal wall in my house, it contained all the electric cables for higher floors of the house. They are hanging down from ceiling to floor in the middle of the room at the minute and I'd like to move them to one side so they go down one of the remaining walls of the room. Unfortunately the cables are not long enough to do this, so I was thinking of cutting them and adding in another piece of cable to make them long enough. Does having a couple of joins in a cable present any risks (fire hazard etc), thanks.

Sponsored Links
Not if done properly.

There are regulations concerning the accessibility of screw-based joints, so you might need to use crimps, applied with a proper ratchet crimper. Do a search here for crimp crimps crimping crimper crimpers for chapter and verse on that.

If you plan to bury the cables there are rules to observe:

http://www.niceic.org.uk/downloads/C5-43.pdf

http://www.niceic.org.uk/downloads/concealedcables.pdf

When the work is finished you should test all of the new circuits to verify continuity, polarity, insulation resistance and R1+R2.

Finally, you are aware, I take it, that this is notifiable work, so you must either have it done by an electrician who is able to self-certify compliance with the Building Regulations or you must notify it to LABC in advance?

Use the correct size cables too, i can see a temptation here to use just 2.5mm² cable or whatever's to hand for all the joins, Make sure you use the right sizes.

nothing wrong with using 2.5mm in a lighting cuircuit if its all you have handy

don't go using 2.5mm to extend cooker cuircuits etc though.

Sponsored Links
ban-all-sheds said:
Finally, you are aware, I take it, that this is notifiable work, so you must either have it done by an electrician who is able to self-certify compliance with the Building Regulations or you must notify it to LABC in advance?

Are you sure this is notifiable?

BenStiller said:
ban-all-sheds said:

Are you sure this is notifiable?

Are you sure that you're a competent person?! :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back