double glazed windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:confused: Advice would be gratefully received on the procedure to be adopted when replacing sash windows/boxes with double glazed units.

Sponsored Links
Don't replace with plastic windows would be my first tip!
Do you mean you are replacing the whole window and frame or just the opening lights? Either way the double glazed units will weigh more than the original glass so you will need new, heavier sash weights. If a local joiner is making a new window he will probably be able to sort these out as you will need to weigh the window light and glass to calculate the balance weight.

Just guidance on whether you would remove the entire sash box or leave them in place and subsequently replace sashes with double glazed units with top hung casement :) .

Sponsored Links
This is what we normally do otherwise you will end up a big box section gap on either side which is a bit awkward to make goods afterward but can be done and depend how fussy you're ! We always asks the customer what they want it to look like.The choice is yours......

Hi Masona

Thanks for that. Does the frame of the new windows actually extend the same distance as that of the removed sash box? or do you have to fill the gap some way? :?:

Without looking at yours there are so many difference type of sash windows.I even done one with a 45 degree angle sash box !

Sometime the sash box go further behind the wall which you can't see from the front,all depend how much you want to do.Most people leave the sash box in and form a square internal and fit the double glazed unit inside the frame which will reduce the opening + light slightly and can looks bulky if it a small window.I know some people when taken sash box out and cover it up with curtains ! Like I say depends how fussy you are ! If it was me I would take the whole lot out and make goods ( which can involves quite a bit of work )as I have done so many of them

If you can send a photo or drawing I probably can help you further.

Are you talking about replacing it with pvc double glazed sliding sash unit ? If not have a look at this.

Thanks for the info., gives me something to think about.:cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back