Concrete skirting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all ,

Just moved into a victorian house last week . lots of work needs doing so i will be a fairly regular poster over the next 12 months .

Was taking out the brick cl;adding round the fireplace last night to reveal the original firebreak but when i got to the bottom course of bricks and tried to take off the skirting board i hit a snag .

the skirting appears to be made of concrete , at some point in the past the original wood floor was taken out and concrete poured i guess the skirting was done at the same time .

i was thinking of fitting a glued solid oak floor but really didn't want to fit the beading strip (quadrant) round the edge to cover the expansion gap .

Should i face it with wood then and a decorative moulding at the top or try and hack it off the wall ? any ideas much appreciated .

Sponsored Links
woowoospanner said:
i was thinking of fitting a glued solid oak floor but really didn't want to fit the beading strip (quadrant) round the edge to cover the expansion gap .

Should i face it with wood then and a decorative moulding at the top or try and hack it off the wall ? any ideas much appreciated .

Hi woowoospanner, welcome.

Have you thought about flat beading (5 x 40-50mm) instead of scotia/quadrant? Fits neatly on top of the floor (like a 'picture' frame) to cover the expansion gap. They come in all kind of woods, we normally use Oak pre-finished or unfinished when a colour is needed.

I hope the pictures show what it look likes, couldn't find any better.

Willesborough300.jpg

this one shows a neutral Oak beading (in front of the white skirting)

williamsdining300.jpg

and this one an Oak beading coloured black to go with the Wenge feature strip.

Also (the one on the right, but I'm sure you get the idea by now :D
thresbead400.jpg

Sponsored Links
thanks for that . i found this on the web :

5027086131775_lc1_1_x.jpg

Have you come across it before ? i can't work out wether it replaces the existing skirting or goes over the top of it ?

How big should my expansion gap be on a 12'4" x 27' floor ?

No, sorry, haven't seen those. (and then we normally don't have to replace skirting boards ourselves, customer or his builder takes care of that)

Rule of thumb for expansion gaps by solid Oak floors: 3mm per meter wide. In your case (3.8 m wide) between 12 - 15 mm to be on the safe side. This also means that if you replace (or in this case add to) skirting boards they should be 20 - 22mm thick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back