F/E Tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
recently had some work done in the bathroom. Plumber had to disconnect the radiator in the bathroom and also in the kitchen (for decorating work). Heating was working fine, while radiators where off the wall, trvs where change in the kitchen, and bedroom (both damaged) but to do this the system (open) was drained.

But the F/E tank did not drain at all but the system did completely. I drained the tank by hand and then turned on the water again, but the system didnt seem to fill, so as a last resort l back filled the system using the overflow/expantion pipe.

the radiators are now full both downstairs and up, system fired up and was running but with the pump heating up, something l dont know if its normal to do so. There is a bit of noise like trapped air. So turned system off bleed pipes and restarted system. But noise like too little water in the system still remains
There is still no movement in the expantion tank. Either way.

Can anybody give me some ideas or help.

Thanks Chris.

Sponsored Links
Sorry forgot to give system info.

Potterton netaheat profile boiler (original to system 1995)
Grundfos selectric pump (original to system 1995)
Sunivac 2 port motorised valve (new)
Potterton ep 2000 controller (original to system 1995)

Thanks Chris

The cold feed may be blocked, drain down again, undo it at the t where it joins the flow pipe after the boiler before the pump, clean out the sludge and start again. When you get it apart at this junction and dislodge the blockage you'll get wet, prepare yourself.

Thanks Paul, just not to sure as to the exact pipe to unblock at the top of the boiler there are two pipes going into it, one at each side. The pipe on the left hand side goes into the boiler there is a t with the pipe then goes to the pump.
Is this the pipe you mean.

Sponsored Links
If I may stick my oar in - Paul may be at work - there will almost certainly be a 15mm pipe coming down from the loft or wherever the F&E tank is, and joining a big pipe. It may be at the boiler, or it may be in the airing cupboard. It is likely to join a little way on the suction side of the pump. The blockage is very likely in this little pipe, at its junction, especially if there is a bend for muck to collect in.

If you stuff a rubber bung in the feed pipe where it leaves the F&E tank, you will reduce the amount of water that gushes out on you. there will be a couple of bucketfulls up there so an assistant to empty them will be useful.

Thanks for your reply John, all advice is greatly appreciated, not just by myself but my cold shivering wife and frozen two little boys.

coming out of the f/e tank is a 15 mm pipe, and going into the top of the tank is a 22 mm pipe (in the loft) it then goes straight down and indeed bends twice before connecting to a 22mm T then into the boiler. But what l have noticed is that is seems to begoing in to the wrong side of the boiler. the system has been drained before (about 3 years ago) but l wasnt there to see it filled back up again.

Ta very much,

Chris.

It's the 15mm pipe that's the feed. the 22mm pipe is for expansion (though only in exceptional cases, like if the 15mm pipe gets blocked).

I think you'll find that the 22mm pipe terminates above the water level in the F&E tank, so it can't supply water anyway.

Your blockage is going to be in the 15mm pipe, and most likely at the junction where it joins a bigger pipe in the system. This is very likely next to the pump, but may be in the airing cupboard.

P.S. the supply and expanson pipes might possibly have ben amalgamated since the system was built, in which case I don't know how it would have been done, but most likely they're still as I described above.

PPS: I'm not a plumber, just a partially competent householder. But I had what may turn out to be the same prob - took off a rad to redecorate, syst wouldn't refill, sediment blocking the 15mm pipe at the bend just before it joins the big pipe - and on investigation I've found out it's quite a common prob - hence sticking my oar in. Good luck!

PPPS: If, as it sounds like, you're going to have a go at it yourself, get a Pipeslice (will cut pipes cleanly in a restricted space), a couple of 15mm compression connectors and two spanners to fit, and a small tub of white plumbers jointing paste. If you can't do it you won't be much worse off than you are already, unless you dump two gallons of water through the floor, damage your ceiling, decoration and carpet. Professional plumbers hardly ever do that :LOL: You might also like to buy some sentinel anti-corrosion fluid.

Thanks again Paul & John for your replies, did exactly as you suggested and "hey presto" system back to normal.

The wife and kids are now as warm as toast and send a big Thank You to.

Cheers Chris

:LOL: That's great! nice to hear a happy ending! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back