Kitchen cable in conduit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

First you can tell i'm no electrician....and i know when to ask for help....which puts me out of the DIY SOS cat.

Working my way around the kitchen...and after posting the 'cooker hood' question earlier (Thanks Breezer ) i've noticed something else i want to ask about.

The tiles are all off and the now visible electric cable just runs in grooves up from floor level to the sockets above the work tops. Would it be worth disconnecting each socket and placing the cable in conduit for the space behind the tiling? It would mean more work at this stage of the game but i would rather get it right now.....before i tile.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

Dinger

Sponsored Links
you can actually get "capping" made for just this purpose (it fts over the cable) you can get it from any electrical wholesaler

Breezer,

What are the real reason for plastic capping or conduit ? prevent damp or to stop plaster damaging the pvc cable or so the wire can be pull out easier if need be or have I missed something here?

Sponsored Links
Go for the galvanised, when drilling if you hear the drill "sing" you know its time to stop !!

Just did the same thing in my own kitchen....and I tiled over them....didn't think there would be any need to provide mechanical protection, and in any case, plastic dont provide that much. As long as your cable routes comply with regulations (ie, straight etc).

As il78 said, plastic capping and oval conduit provides negligable amounts of mechanical protection. I believe plaster used to contain lots of lime which used to eat the pvc insulation, capping/conduit used to prevent this. Many plasterers also moan if you have cables loose in chases so capping/conduit holds it back in the chase while it's plastered. It's also quicker, you can clip a 3 metre drop of cables back in seconds if you use capping and nail it to the wall; clipping all the cables takes much longer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back