air in radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have tried to bleed the rad in my top room, done this with boiler both on and off, still air in system. when i turn the bleed valve usually get small amount of hiss then nothing. system is W/B 14/19cbi and have 8mm with twin valve microbore pipe, all other rads get hot, 2 downstairs are hotter at top then in middle of bottom. any ideas. Ta

Sponsored Links
sorry the boiler info means nowt to me. have we a name of boiler. is it open vented system or tank fed.?

Sponsored Links
Yes, the small tank is full, all the radiators on the g/f and 1st floor are hot. its just the one in the top room that has air in it. this is the only rad that has valves at both ends i.e on/off and lsv. i have tried shutting down the lsv and leaving the bleed valve open but nothing am i right in thinking that the first pipe to get hot should be the flow?. sorry for the rant, but i have tried every thing i can think off but so far all to no avail.
Ta

Is tank fitted above rad if not raise it if it is then suspect blockage (possibly) where cold feed joins system

Update, the rad in the top room is now cold, rest of system rads are on have tried incerting a small pipe into expansion tank tank outlet a blowing to try and create a flow but nothing happened. also the pump has started to make a high pitch whining sound?. any other ideas as to how to cure an airleak or clear a blockage.
Ta

This doesnt always work but does work often enough to be worth trying

Stick a compression or pushfiit 22mm elbow with a 22X15 reducer in it on your vent pipe.
Shove a piece of 15mm pipe into the reducer. Your hosepipe should then push onto the 15mm pipe. Turn the water on to the hosepipe and with a bit of luck it should blow the blockage out of your feed pipe.
I flush it like that for 20 -30 mins letting it overflow from the f&e tank during which time you could make use of the higher pressure and bleed any naughty rads. Get someone to keep an eye on the tank water level though just incase the overflow pipe can't cope.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back