painting radiators

Sponsored Links
Yes, make sure rad' is turned off tho' to prevent paint/brush drying on you. 'Yellowing' will not occur for 10+ years with modern paints.

alarman said:
Hi all

can you tell me is it ok to use undercoat on a radiator followed by gloss.
No dont use undercoat on rads/ hot surfaces, It will soften and crack. The reccomended system is to abrade lightly to key, wash, then one or two coats of gloss. The undercoat will also leave brushmarks,
I use normal dulux trade gloss etc dont bother with 'special' expensive non yellowing type paints.
If you got rust on rad, touch prime then gloss only.

Sponsored Links
confidentincompetent said:
alarman said:
Hi all

No dont use undercoat on rads/ hot surfaces, It will soften and crack. The reccomended system is to abrade lightly to key, wash, then one or two coats of gloss. The undercoat will also leave brushmarks,
I use normal dulux trade gloss etc dont bother with 'special' expensive non yellowing type paints.

Well .... I have never known u/c to "crack" in a "hot" situation. Also .... I would never apply "one" coat of gloss to anything.

alarman said:
so would a satin wood be a better option if only one coat was going on

Satinwood Is ok but usually find need two coats of satinwood.

alarman said:
so would a satin wood be a better option if only one coat was going on
Yes if you think the rad is not dirty/discoloured. It is rare that gloss or satinwood covers in one coat, even if you use 'Solo' or 'Once'.

Magnolia Matt said:
alarman said:
Well .... I have never known u/c to "crack" in a "hot" situation. Also .... I would never apply "one" coat of gloss to anything.

Hi magnolia. Sorry to strongly dissagree, BUt this was way I was brought up :LOL: Note when gloss on gloss abrade and clean instructions. The rads I painted today were painted by me with one coat of gloss 9 yrs ago and no flaking etc. When you come across a rad that is flaking and cracking you can bet its the undercoat thats the problem.
Actually check at brewers if you like, they will tell you same I'm sure. I asked when dulux aquatec was new if undercoat was needed on rads they said no and so did dulux trade site.

alarman said:
ok guys didn't mean to start an argument :eek: but thanks for the advice :D

No argument lol. I used to undercoat many years ago ~~~~sigh ~~~But got a right *******ing when I started at a new firm (1970) and undercoated rads: was shown error of me ways.
Should add that heat enamels the gloss to the steel and make it very chip resistant, undercoat chips off hot surfaces easily.

Try asking dulux trade. its free.

good luck

This painting radiators thing is weird...

I must admit im from the era of CC and I know what he means about the gloss business...it does makes sense too as gloss is more flexible than undercoat..and ive done it myself plenty of times...however...that 'rule' has been around for a very long time...back from when undercoats were a different formulation..ive often wondered if things have moved on..

And...ive never seen a rad crack because of it...

The worst thing you can put on a radiator is matt emulsion..it has barely any flexibility..and ive seen plenty of them flaking...but...ive also seen plenty of DIYer's get away with it and the paint holding fast

When the new water based gloss's came out they were not recommended for hot surfaces, but being the decorating rebel I am...I painted a rad with some...but used an oil based undercoat first..it is still going strong now 10 years down the line...

So..IMO...the jury is still out...but I do agree with CC...dont bother buying the poncy radiator paints...they stink and involve a lot of mucking around turning te rads on and off...

Give em two coats of oil based eggshell...it has good adhesion but is still flexible enough to cope with the expansion and contraction of the how surface.

Magnolia Matt said:
alarman said:
Hi all

I agree, I always undercoat a rad thats never been painted, followed by either gloss or satinwood, perhaps I have been lucky but all the rads that I have painted have never once cracked. :D

spice said:
Magnolia Matt said:
alarman said:
Hi all

I agree, I always undercoat a rad thats never been painted, followed by either gloss or satinwood, perhaps I have been lucky but all the rads that I have painted have never once cracked. :D

Yeah but do your rads have a brush mark free, just been sprayed look, like mine do. ;) undercoating rads is a pointless exercise as proved from the many rads I have done with one coat of gloss (after prep) and being self employed I get to work on same rads many years later, like the four I did this week (9 years ago) which had only yellowed slightly like the rest of the paint trim. Carry on u/c but erm I dont see the point in doig soo :LOL:

I never get brush marks on the rads, but must admit the sprayed on look appeals to me, so will give it a go next time I come to paint a Rad. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back