Are the building regs part of 7671?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the OSG is a bit (p155) on heights of accessories.

These are laid out under the building regs, not 7671, but does their inclusion in the OSG mean they have become part of 7671?

Would an install not be to 7671 if those heights were not adhered to?

Sponsored Links
The OSG is mostly based on BS7671 with the recent addition of a few Building Regs - the Building Regs are not part of BS7671 but should be followed anyway!

Someone (who must remain nameless!!) told me that if accessories were not at the correct height, then 7671 has been breached...

PompeySparks said:
I think you are right Lectrician in that if it's a direct rewire then you can fit the new accessorys in place of the old ones (good for preserving decor!) - as you say if BC are heavily involved though...

Sponsored Links
This was in reference to the building regs and not BS7671!

Part M of the Building Regs only applies to a newbuild therefore when re-wiring an existing property, you may site accessories in the same place that they were before!

securespark said:

These are laid out under the building regs, not 7671, but does their inclusion in the OSG mean they have become part of 7671?

That is a very good question. I think the OSG starts with something like "away to show conformance" and that is very grey

As BS7671 is non-statutory (as you all well know) as long as any accessory fitted is safe you are perfectly within the law, yes I know that complying with 7671 is a way of complying with the law (electricity at work act, health and safety at work act & building regs) but it is perfectly reasonable, practicable and most of all safe to re-fit sockets wherever you like, as long as they are safe.
The osg is a guide to the regs in certain locations, mainly domestic, and is not the regs.
Part p is more relevent here as it brings a lot of 7671 into legal status, but importantly part p makes kitchens a special location which 7671 doesn't.
so another question is whether sockets under part p work comply with regs?
so to answer the original post: if you were replacing existing sockets all is ok, if you are fitting a new build then stick to building regs. imho.

OK. As I said someone is quibbling about the positioning of socket outlets (they are part of a rewire, and are just above the skirting).

So I can hopefully settle this one without much fuss.

Is there a para in the building regs that says as much - that height restrictions only apply to new build or refurb?

I have trawled through 7671 and found very little in this area...

Been looking at Part M far too much in the last 24 hrs!!!

This is 'copy pasted' from the 'where the requirements apply' section of Part M -

0.3 This rule applies to domestic as well as to non-domestic buildings.
Under the Limits on Application in Part M, Part M does not apply to an extension of, or a material alteration of, a dwelling. However, an extension of a dwelling, or a material alteration of a dwelling, must not make the building less satisfactory in relation to Part M than it was before.

This would seem to suggest that on rewires (a material alteration), you can leave stuff where it is but not make it even more in-accessible (who would?).
This is only my interpretation and could be wrong!

securespark said:

You baffle me ss. Given the mild and friendly mocking that you issued on a topic when I asked about Approved Document P (on which topic, by the way, you haven't replied), how can you even ask this question? Stop me if you know all of the following, but you seem not to.

"The Building Regulations (as amended)" is a Statutory Intrument that implements The Building Act 1984. The Regulations are not part of anything.

The OSG is a guide, and isn't legislation or a set of standards.

BS 7671 is a British Standard - non-compliance is neither automatically unsafe nor automatically illegal.

Thanks Dellsmp, and apologies - I hadn't read the topic properly so didn't notice that I was covering the same ground that you had.

Softus

Yes, I know how I would interpret what is in front of me, but I have a customer who is distinctly unhappy about the work (a re-wire) done in a customer's property.

I wanted to see if there were any other angles of attack the customer may use, or different interpretations of what is written.

Forewarned is forearmed, as they say.

What did I not reply to? I have been here very much on & off over the last few weeks and months. Point me to your post and I'll happily have a stab at it. Or you can e-mail me.

Whats the customers problem?
I'd stick sockets etc anywhere a customer wants in an existing house as long as its safe. (within reason and practicallities).
Does the customer know something about the regs? is it a case of a little knowledge being a dangerous thing and all that?

:confused:

securespark said:
Yes, I know how I would interpret what is in front of me, but I have a customer who is distinctly unhappy about the work (a re-wire) done in a customer's property.
In that case I understand and completely sympathise. If the customer wants the sockets in a position that you consider illegal or unsafe, I think, IMHO, that you should tell them that you're "not allowed" to do that.

However, my other advice, should you want it, is to try and work out what underlies the seemingly crass and niggling complaint.

securespark said:
Point me to your post and I'll happily have a stab at it. Or you can e-mail me.
Thanks - it's here: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=314389#314389

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back