Blockage in baxi bahama filter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Initial problem the radiators were only heating up upstairs We have had British Gas in to fix the boiler (under homecare insurance) eventually they found gunk in the filter the filter had been placed in the flow when it was installed instead of the return so this is why it hadn't been found. The central heating then worked fine for 2 days and the same problem has returned. The boiler is very noisy when starting makes a hissing sound like it is going to overheat and switch off but seems to stop hissing then carries on. Heating reduced upstairs but still warmish no heating down stairs. I think the filter needs cleaning again. British gas have recommended a powerflush and until we do that they will do nothing with the system. My question.
Does this sound like a blockage in the filter again?
Do you have to drain the whole system to replace the filter.
Are there any other issues if we do this?
Do you think we need a powerflush?
Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Yes, it sounds like the filter has blocked again.
Generally you'll have to drain the system to clean this filter, I'll come to why later.
Sounds like a powerflush is due, though you may get away without, BG earn a lot of money using the powerflush ploy (£800 ish?)

I suggest you do the following:
1. Add a flushing agent such as Sentinel Ferroquest.
2. Drain the system fully after the required period, look at the drained water, does it resemble soup?
3. Cut into the return pipework and install a Fernox Boiler Buddy magnetic sludge remover with isolating gate valves. Plumb CentRE have a special offer of a free Fernox Restorer and Protector at the moment, but be quick.
4. Refill with the restorer, bleed and operate the system, you can now see the gunge coming through to the boiler buddy.
5. Remove and clean the BB as necessary, until the water looks almost clear, and the heating performance is as it should be.
6. Drain the entire system again, clean the Baxi filter again and the BB, refilling with the Protector.

The cost for the parts for all this should be about £120, a big saving on BG prices. The BB also is the same size as a std pump, so if you do need a Powerflush later (because this hasn't worked:oops: ) this can be attached quickly and easily. *Note, these are particularly useful in combi and system boilers as they allow the powerflusher to clean the boiler pump too, without extra attachments, though the secondary HE will need extra work.

A small caveat on this, if loose scale has accumulated in your boiler this will need to be removed physically before the BB will work properly.

I am confused Meldrews mate. Do you actually work in this industry?

I dont want to be rude and I am not sggesting that you ever post anything other than sound advice.

I am confused as to why you would sell us all down the river to the DIY brigade. I have spent years learning what I know and I expect to be paid for my expertise I dont understand why you would help the general public cut us pros out of the loop.

I'm confused too, Castle P&H. If you don't agree with giving free advice to DIYers, what are you doing on this forum? Trying to pick up tips FOC like everyone else? And didn't your first post constitute free advice? Your comments seem a little hypocritical.

Sponsored Links
meldrew's_mate Excellent advice - should be on a sticky Just what the Forum is all about!! Just off to the Plumb Centre - nice to know they have some freebees!

chrishutt said:
I'm confused too, Castle P&H. If you don't agree with giving free advice to DIYers, what are you doing on this forum? Trying to pick up tips FOC like everyone else? And didn't your first post constitute free advice? Your comments seem a little hypocritical.

you go girlfriend :LOL: :LOL:

My first post was Ha HA Ha I cant believe you fell for that obvious wind up
My second post to to express the opinion that Atmos boilers were great.
You will notice that I didnt tell the person asking how to fit the bloody thing
Hypocritical?? I am sure its not but I will defend to the death your right to think so and toi say so

Thank you very much Meldrew's_mate for your help.
It'll be great if it works.
It'll save a lot of money
Now I have to work on my dad to give me a hand.
I'll let you know how I get on
Once again Many thanks
>>>>>>>>>

Yeah my dad suggested taking the filter out he reckoned that all the gunk had already gone through the boiler as the filter was in the flow and It wouldn't make too much difference. I was wary though didn't want summat to blow up.

Nobody has said if British Gas moved the filter to the return where it should have been fitted.

Can anyone explain why 70% of the Baxi combi boilers I see have had the filter fitted on the flow by mistake ???

If the filter is removed the secondary heat exchanger is likely to get blocked.

Tony

No British Gas left the filter in the flow my husband did ask if they were gonna put it in the return and he said nah I'll leave it there. Not being heating engineers thought they must know what they're doing.
Think I may have a case here to ask them back and move the filter.
From what you've said RE 70% being in the wrong place, maybe Baxi should be doing summat about it. Anyway hopefully BG will also remove the blockage in the filter (if i'm lucky) and give us some more time before we install the boiler buddy.

will keep you posted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back