wallpaper adhesive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just bought some expensive wallpaper and it says on the hanging instructions 'Ensure that a ready mixed PVA adhesive containing fungicide is used to hang the paper (and hang the cross lining too!). I contacted the manufacturer (Jane Churchill)response = We advise a light ready mixed PVA adhesive is used because they have a significantly higher initial tack and better long term adhesion. They are slightly acid side of PH neutral and are less damaging to wallpapaers that are printed using inks on the alkaline side.

is this a load of rubbish? I have spoken to my decorator & he has never used or been asked to use PVA adhesive. Can I use any other ready mixed adhesive?

Help please.

Sponsored Links
The way i see it is "Jane Churchil" made the wallcovering. So, it is there responsability to actualy name a recomended adhesive. Me personaly would never use a PVA to hang a wallpaper as wallpaper is porous. Get them to email you with an actual named product for hanging your/there wallpaper, cos if anything go wrong and you use any PVA (without there recomendation) then they will just blame your chioce of PVA.

Surely they cant be talking about plain PVA?

Your decorator and Third are right..dont use it...no way.

They must mean a PVA based ready mixed adhesive..

I would do as Third suggests..contact them and ask em to suggest one, that way you are covered

Its a funny thing how some wallpaper companies suggest ujsing their own brand of paste or it 'may' invalidate the guarentee...most paste in the UK is produced by a company called Ward Becker and they just re-badge it for different manufacturers.

To be honest, a tub or solvite ready mixed should do the job fine..if Jane Churchill dont comment themsleves then contact Solvite and ask them if its ok to use..get them to commit themselves instead.

Google Colefax and Fowler and contact them...they probably made the paper for Jane Churchill anyway.

Ive hung their paper loads of times and either used celulose paste or ordinary starch powder (now with fungicide)

Other pastes you may want to mention to the company are, Dixons, Turners, Muraspec and Helen Sheen

Again I wouldnt be surprised if they were made by Ward Becker...but its worth a shout,

Starch based.......like flour+water ;) PVA based........like solvit... "Never, in the field of DIY has so much been owed.......".Jane Churchill(allegedly)

Sponsored Links
Starch based adhesive... like LAP ..yes very strong but awful stuff to use. 99 % of papers will go on with Solvite. Ready mixed adhesives are very good but not always needed. You can always add the two together for a bit of extra grip. Ive hung Italian silk papers with solvite with no probs. A lot of these companies tell you to use their paste just to sell more products. I've put papers on costing £400 a roll before now with no probs using normal ready mixed adhesive.

Not ..you..the advert above! lol

I dont mind either solvite or polycell..but I always get the feeling solvite goes a bit further.

I love lap..its a pig to mix, but to quote the technical data 'sticks like **** to a blanket!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back