Claim back cash unlawfully charged by banks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sick of bank charges! Read on and you could claim most of it back.

Amongst all the semi junk mail that I have subscribed too I found

this Which led me to this

Sometimes I don't keep an eye on some of my accounts and fairly often they go OD.

I'm going to have a go at this and will report back as and when I get some success even though it may take some time to get a result.

It's just a case of printing the texts out and sending them to your bank.
I can't be arsed fixing my printer so I am just going to email them for starters

I would like anyone else who has a go at this simply to report back on how they have done and the success or otherwise of getting a refund.

Sponsored Links
Just been here

Total Returned: £4127224 to 3562 people.

Thats an average of £1159 for everyone who bothered to reclaim the money and who took part in the survey

I suppose the truer average would be lower but it still proves that it can be a worthwhile venture.

Slugbabydotcom said:
Sick of bank charges! Read on and you could claim most of it back.
I thought we have to sign the term & condition agreement for the bank charges? Or is it they not charging you correctly?

Sponsored Links
The T&C's also state that the banks must act within the law but they havent been doing that as the fees they have been charging are a rip off.

Here's a relevant bit I copied from one of the above links
Here's the background

Banks and card providers charge penalties if you breach your contract by defaulting, making a late payment, going overdrawn, returning a bounced cheque, or if a direct debit or standing order fails. The thing is, they're not allowed to do this.

What they can do is get you to cover the administrative costs that arise from it, but how much can it cost for a computer to print off a patronising automated letter, or to not process a direct debit? Not £25 to £40, but that's what they charge.

As many of you will have heard, the Office of Fair Trading has decided that banks and credit card companies should charge no more than £12 for such breaches of contract. However, the only reason they set this figure was: "In order to swiftly reduce charges and avoid heavy-handed regulation." In other words, the charge is still too high, but they just quickly set a limit to help all consumers immediately.

Back