Covering cables

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can you plaster over mains cables? Or do they have to be covered?

Also if cables are being boxed in do they have to be fixed or loose?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Cables can be directly plastered over but i prefer to at least put plastic nail over protection. That way the plasterer shouldn't damage the cable insulation.
If you box cables in then for future rewires it maybe best to leave loose but would be best securing by clips near sockets or outlets at the top and bottom. They'll need to be 50mm deep if not in "safe zones".

I use steel capping rather than plastic, it’s slightly more expensive but safer in my view as a masonry drill bit has a harder time drilling through it into the cable than it would plastic; leave the cables loose inside.

Thanks for the replys.

If a cable for a socket is in the safe zone how deep does it have to be?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I can't find anything about cable depths in 16th Ed. for safe zones, but I would think 20mm is sensible to take plaster bond and skim.

What do others reckon?

I can't find anything about cable depths in 16th Ed. for safe zones, but I would think 20mm is sensible to take plaster bond and skim.

What do others reckon?

If in a safe zone then any depth is fine. Probably best not to have it so shallow that it pokes through the plaster though ;)

Thanks,

Are the safe zones for sockets in a horizontal line through the sockets?

luminaire said:
Being plastic they don't need to be earthed as does steel, and you can get oval clips as well.
:LOL:

I've previously asked about this; the answer I got on here was that you don't have to earth steel capping only conduit, presumably because this is connected to the switch box.

If metal capping is being used outside of the safe zones then it needs to be earthed as it's acting as an earthed metallic covering 522-06-06

If it's being used within the safe zone then it does not need to be earthed.

Pensdown said:
If metal capping is being used outside of the safe zones then it needs to be earthed as it's acting as an earthed metallic covering 522-06-06

If it's being used within the safe zone then it does not need to be earthed.
That's my understanding; I didn't put it too well, thanks for the additional input.

Con
directly vertically and horizontally from the sockets, switches etc plus within 150 mm from a vertical corner or the ceiling, but not within 150 mm of the floor

I don't think metal capping provides sufficient mechanical protection as per regs

Earthed steel conduit is the only real option and probably galvanised at that if it is to be intially buried in wet plaster!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back