Adding a small consumer unit

Status
Not open for further replies.
and to be with napit you have to be qualified and meet the requirements of a proven trade/industry test and that applies to domestic comercial and industrial installation

Sponsored Links
it is called third party i dont know what qualificatiuon you have but I completed an apprentiship got c and g 1 and 2 17th edition inspect and test am1 am 2 and nvq3 and i assure you i am in a position with napit to inspect third party installations.If you could not test and inspec third party installs how would anyone have a periodic inspec certificate on any installation after all each instal has a recomended period between tests and people leave the trade and even get old and die what happens then do we pull the building down and start again

:rolleyes: You are missing the point entirely.

Of course you need to be qualified to be a member of one of the self-certification schemes but being qualified enough to be accepted by a scheme means nothing if you are not the person carrying out the work. Being in a self-cert scheme allows you to certify that work YOU did complies with the building regs, and there are very few circumstances where an electrician is going to be able to certify that the work someone else did complies with all the regulations when they are not present durings its erection.

Carrying out a PIR is not the same as completing a building regs compliance cert.

NAPIT membership includes third party inspection and testing as long as the member is fully qualified and has the relevant experience to carry out this service and is present at first & second fix. When completing the Electrical Installation Certificate, in the case of a 3-part certificate only the 'inspection and testing' portion should be completed, if using the NAPIT Electrical Certificate you should indicate in the 'limitations' section that the certificate does not cover design or construction. In each case the details of the installer should be included on the certificate.

Please note that this approach should not be used to notify work under Part P as this is not allowed.

Sponsored Links
many companies use designated testers that are not present on first fix or for that matter second fix of an installation and that includes house builders like wimpy more to the point is whether someone would want to put there name to someone elses work esp if the person concerned only has a part p or 17th edition alone in my opinion all electrical work should be left to time served and qualified people.There is a reason that there are trades people and that is because electricity kills
and qualifications and experiencedleads to being competent

If the persons carrying out 1st/2nd fix are competent, designated persons within a company that is registered to self certify then that is a different situation entirely. Here I am talking about a DIY'er doing electrical work... The only way for him to be compliant is to notify the BCO before he starts the work and then get it inspected and tested by an approved inspector or have the BCO sub the I&T out to a certified electrician.

And yes, I agree with you on the last bit ;)

I see your point I think we maybe talking from two different angles here I think to do any kind of trade work you should have proven competence I am not sure I agree with this site giving information to un trained people I wonder how many accidents or even deaths it has caused esp electrical

I'm quite sure this site has PREVENTED thousands of injuries over the years it has been running.

Can you imagine some of the dangerous situations people would be unaware of if it were not for the generous contributors of this site helping them to do things properly and safely?

If it were not for sites like this, then people would carry on doing electrical work in their homes, with even less of an idea of how to do a safe and compliant job.

maybe and maybe not.How would anyone know whether this information was right or wrong I see no trade marks no proof of qualification no addresses of people to take responsibility for deaths or accidents bit like trusting abloke in the park to watch your kids maybe if there wasnt sites like these people would not attempt it after all there is no proof this site has stoped accidents and people have done work in there homes forever even before the internet
It takes 5 6 years with alot of college and work experience to become competent are you really telling me you believe half a dozen lines on a forum will achieve the same thing I dont think so

maybe if there wasnt sites like these people would not attempt it ... people have done work in there homes forever even before the internet

:confused: You have just contradicted your own argument there... Regardless of sites like these there will always be people who can not, for one reason or another, obtain the services of a qualified tradesperson and these people will not go without.

The fact that people come on here and seek advice has without doubt prevented injury and/or death. You only need to read the forum for a couple of hours before someone will come along and ask a question regarding some aspect of electrical wiring that could lead to serious injury had they carried on without receiving appropriate advice.

You are correct though in that there is no way of anyone knowing whether the advice they are given is given by a qualified electrician, a well informed DIY'er or a complete dip-sh t but with the number of people who come on here to give advice, it doesn't take long for dodgy advice to be weeded out.

I thought the whole idea was to stop non competent people doing electrical work not actually encourage it which is exactly what you are doing

I have not contradicted nothing what I said was people have done work in there own homes before sites like this and there is no proof that this site has prevented jack s""t in fact there would be more evidence to suggest people are more likely to attempt the work because of sites like these and therefore LESS likely to call a competent person and MORE likely to attempt work themselves

The correct response would be do not attempt it unless you are competent and qualified to do so if you are not find some one who is I am sure every thing that happens here is done with the best intentions but unfortunatly we are judged on our actions not so good if our actions result in someones death just a thought

many companies use designated testers that are not present on first fix or for that matter second fix of an installation and that includes house builders like wimpy
You've failed to grasp the concept of who is signing what.

In the scenario you describe, an electrician is not certifying work that he didn't do as compliant with the Building Regulations, the company is certifying work that they did do.

The person doing the signing is not the one who is registered - the company is.

The person doing the signing could not certify a private job that he did - he isn't registered.

in my opinion all electrical work should be left to time served and qualified people.
Then there's no point you being here.

i assure you i am in a position with napit to inspect third party installations.
I don't doubt that you are, and you can inspect and certify electrical work from the POV of compliance with the Wiring Regulations.

But you cannot, and must not, certify them as compliant with the Building Regulations.

I am not sure I agree with this site giving information to un trained people

I thought the whole idea was to stop non competent people doing electrical work not actually encourage it which is exactly what you are doing

there is no proof that this site has prevented jack s""t in fact there would be more evidence to suggest people are more likely to attempt the work because of sites like these and therefore LESS likely to call a competent person and MORE likely to attempt work themselves
Would there?

Can you find it?

The correct response would be do not attempt it unless you are competent and qualified to do so if you are not find some one who is I am sure every thing that happens here is done with the best intentions but unfortunatly we are judged on our actions not so good if our actions result in someones death just a thought

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back