Adding a small consumer unit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
COS IT DOES SOUND ABIT LIKE SOUR GRAPES BUT THEN AGAIN MY FRIEND ON READING MOST OF YOUR POSTS YOU ARE A COMPLETE CHANCER

say what =you mean bas
I thought I did.

It seems quite reasonable to say that IF you think that all electrical work should be left to time served and qualified people, and IF you don't agree with this site giving information to untrained people etc etc, then there really is no point you being here, because your beliefs are in complete opposition to what this site does.

COS IT DOES SOUND ABIT LIKE SOUR GRAPES BUT THEN AGAIN MY FRIEND ON READING MOST OF YOUR POSTS YOU ARE A COMPLETE CHANCER
You're right - it does sound a bit like sour grapes, and it was completely uncalled for - you should be ashamed.

I presume bas that you have something to do with the running of this site hence your reply.If you are so cock sure that this site has not been responsible for any injuries ect why dont you take responsibility by placing your name and address and stating you will take responsibility for any injuries or deaths caused by people following instructions from this site and maybe list your qualifications etc theres a challenge
Maybe at the same time you could ask yourself why NAPIT ECA JIB etc dont have similar sites to inform un skilled people how to do potentially dangerous jobs :?:

Sponsored Links
and just to put you straight it is not the entire site that i disagree with most of it is fine

and if every body had your opinions we would all be working in the circus :LOL: as clowns

I presume bas that you have something to do with the running of this site hence your reply.
No I have nothing to do with the running of this site.

But you really do seem to be having a problem understanding what is really a very logical and obvious proposition:

IF you don't agree with what this site is for, and what it does, then there is no point you being here.

IF you don't agree with what this site is for, and what it does, do you really think that you're going to persuade everybody to stop giving advice, and persuade the owners to shut it down if you keep on saying "all electrical work should be left to time served and qualified people" and "I don't agree with this site giving information to untrained people" etc etc?

Maybe at the same time you could ask yourself why NAPIT ECA JIB etc dont have similar sites to inform un skilled people how to do potentially dangerous jobs :?:
Maybe you should ask yourself what the point is of you coming onto a DIY advice site when you don't agree with DIY advice being given.

and just to put you straight it is not the entire site that i disagree with most of it is fine
So which parts do you agree with, and which not?

And how do you propose to proceed, given your views?

and if every body had your opinions we would all be working in the circus :LOL: as clowns
Can you give any rational and intelligent explanation of that comment?

DIY advice is fine instruction on electrical installation work is another matter use your head and I unlike you believe everyone is entitled to there own opinion and I have no intentions of making anyone do nothing but at the end of the day if you are going to stick your hand up and say hey I know how to do this that and the other at least have the balls to stand up and take responsibility for it so the person whos life you have affected has some one to blame IF it all goes tits up for them and maybe list your qualifications to prove you are competent enough to be giving the advice in the first place

Sidmus. People are going to carry out DIY electrical work with or without advice. Those who come here first normally leave with good advice which will allow them to carry out a job in a much safer way. There are even times when the poster realises that the job in hand is too complicated for him/her so employ the services of a competent electrician.
Also, many people have been educated to the requirements of Part P whilst reading this forum when in the real world they wouldn't have come across it.

They can only be a positives.

If you disagree with the intentions of this site then please leave and look elsewhere to troll your opinions.

DIY advice is fine instruction on electrical installation work is another matter
What if the DIY advice wanted is instructions on how to do some electrical installation work?

use your head
I do.

and I unlike you believe everyone is entitled to there own opinion
So so I, and at no time have I suggested otherwise. But having an opinion is one thing - expressing it is another. There are some opinions which you would be banned in law from expressing for example.

I haven't even said that you should not express yours, just observed that there is no point you being here. If you're happy with most of the site but don't agree with this particular forum in it then take "here" to mean this particular forum.

Or alternatively maybe you can explain what the point is of you coming to a forum whose purpose and practice is the giving of DIY electrical advice if you are opposed to that practice and are therefore not going to make any positive contributions?

and I have no intentions of making anyone do nothing
What are your intentions then? If they are to answer every request for advice with "don't do it, get a qualified electrician" then you'll find I'll not be the only one questioning your presence.

but at the end of the day if you are going to stick your hand up and say hey I know how to do this that and the other at least have the balls to stand up and take responsibility for it so the person whos life you have affected has some one to blame IF it all goes **** up for them
So would you burn all the relevant books in the world?

And destroy all the manufacturers' instructions?

And shut down all the other similar websites?

People can get information on electrical installation work from all sorts of places - this site is just one of them.

and maybe list your qualifications to prove you are competent enough to be giving the advice in the first place
If you can find fault with any of the advice I've given then I'd be happy to discuss it with you.

sidmus said:
DIY advice is fine instruction on electrical installation work is another matter

Bad punctuation aside, this statement begs the obvious question, where do you draw the line. Is plumbing safe? Not if a tank full of water at 60°C comes through the ceiling. How about a bit of building work? You don't have to spend long watching 'house' programmes before you'll hear somebody say "You just knock this through ---" :eek: :eek: :eek: How many idiots will immediately reach for the hammer? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Maybe joinery is safe - as long as you don't try to use any kind of power tool, or anything sharp at all for that matter! How about decorating? No, that often involves using a ladder. (Better check with the Association of Registered Scaffold Erectors on that one. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: )

It looks like the only thing this site ought to be giving advice on is making paper aeroplanes! :cry: :cry: :cry:

Gentlemen! Gentlemen . . . it was never my intention to intrude on what is clearly a matter of grievous controversy. I simply sought some technical counsel on the practical aspects of wiring the little cottage I have bought.

Instead, I appear to have detonated a buried bomb from some previous war between zealots of the professional and do-it-yourself electrics world, with an insurgency movement anxious to discredit and topple them both.

I now have the preferred answer to my problem, and I shall stick with that.

Thanks one and all for an entertaining and helpful 24-hours' postings.

Ian40
Hexham
Northumberland

Since the total load over the 2 properties is under 100A why not terminate the service tails on a Henley and run a set of tails to the primary consumer unit and a SWA of suitable size to the 2nd CU.
You should also consider having 2 x on / off switches to isolate the supplies before the CU so that the CU's can have total isolation should further work be carried out post the main install.
An isolator before the henleys would be better.
The SWA should be connected to a switch fuse, in the example above the SWA would be protected by the distriutors cutout - they often have limits on lengths of cable they are allowed to feed.

Then I must question exactly why you think part p and other trade qualifications/training standards are there for I would suggest that you have missed the entire point and BAS I have asked you to provide your qualification and the fact you have not leaves me to wonder if in fact you actually have any as for punctuation I didnt not realize that it was including in the regs LETS SEE THEM QUALIFICATIONS BAS I mean on one of your posts you seemed to think it was ok to stitch cables under joists or at least attempt to make me look silly that I suggested it was not.
May I also ask if any competent person scheme would actually agree with any of its members providing the information you are here.NAPIT certainly do not think its a good thing
BAS wake up if you had anything about you what so ever you would understand that electrical installation is not a DIY thing sunny you are a **** and NOT worth listening to
As for what DIY work I think is acceptable and what is not that aint for me to say I stick to my trade I would suggest you ask a plumber his opinion after all this is the ELECTRICAL forum or perhaps you in fact a lost plumber?Maybe without the full scope?
I will voice my opinion where I choose thank you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back