Alarm - Where do I start??!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had a look through some posts on here, but I'm thinking for an alarm, its down to individal circumstances?

3-Bedroom detached Bungalow - We are looking to install/have installed an alarm system, but what Im wondering is where I should start and what sort of system I should look at. Obviously want something good, but don't want to spend thousands!!

I did like the sound of GSM Diallers, but unsure of the real-life practicalities, like when you are out of the area etc. Also, traditional sirens are just not effective? Or are they?

Any help you can give me is appreciated. :)

Sponsored Links
I have had a look through some posts on here, but I'm thinking for an alarm, its down to individal circumstances?

3-Bedroom detached Bungalow - We are looking to install/have installed an alarm system, but what Im wondering is where I should start and what sort of system I should look at. Obviously want something good, but don't want to spend thousands!!

I did like the sound of GSM Diallers, but unsure of the real-life practicalities, like when you are out of the area etc. Also, traditional sirens are just not effective? Or are they?

Any help you can give me is appreciated. :)

1st - get 3 quotes from LOCAL companies then decide if you NEED to DIY or not, post the specs for us to look at

Would be helpful if you posted a little more info but normally you would go for detector on landing, detector in hall way, detector in living room, door contacts front and rear door, personal attac button if living in a dodgy area near front door and in main bedroom, externall bell box and internal sounder, a securit 700l system would fit your requirements nicely look to spend around £400 - 450 ish add another £150 ish for adding an auto dialler.

Sponsored Links
It's a bungalow - so no landing.

Local companies round here - 4 pirs - £320 - £350.

what grade would that be installed to ?

all cables would be hidden under floor boards clipped direct in ceilings main cpu under stairs with own supply, in other words nacoss, used to install them for a council matey done 100's of em

As saxondale says get 3 quotes. It would also be a good idea to speak to your insurance comapny to see if they have any requirements. If your looking at a GSM dialler then your gonna spend a lot of your budget on that. Most people think wrongly that a gsm dialler is required for mobile texting, a gsm dialler is normally only used when no tel line is available.

But again look at getting quotes from local approved compaines eg NSI gold / Nacoss, and also look at recomendations from people that have already used the prospective company

what grade would that be installed to ?

all cables would be hidden under floor boards clipped direct in ceilings main cpu under stairs with own supply, in other words nacoss, used to install them for a council matey done 100's of em

and the grade would be ?

it wouldnt because you have no idea what your talking about

What is your problem?

The guy was only trying to be helpful.

More than you've managed to do on this thread. :rolleyes:

What is your problem?

The guy was only trying to be helpful.

More than you've managed to do on this thread. :rolleyes:

you`ll see the guys who actually all do this for a living (er that was me first with the same advice wasnt it) all say " get a local firm out to give you 1st hand onsite advice...."

were not saying that because any of us want the job were saying that because without a risk assesment theres absolutley no point offering any form of equipment recommendation etc

were saying this because a risk assesment is the first step to deciding which grade the system will be installed at

were saying this because all new paid for installs ( and most upgrades) have to be graded

were not saying "have one of these, fit it here and it`ll cost £ guess" because its just not possible to do it that way

THATS THE CORRECT HELPFULL ADVICE IN ANSWER TO THIS KIND OF QUESTION

as I said - get your SDP`S first then ask any questions you may have

Alarms are DIY job - stop thinking you are something clever. 4 pirs - job done.

Alarms are DIY job - stop thinking you are something clever. 4 pirs - job done.

Stop talking ******.
Yet again you are deliberately trying to confuse the issue.
Stick to plastering you tedious little person.

You buy the kit - and connect it up. It's a job for a handyman. Done thousands. Complete doddle.

You buy the kit - and connect it up. It's a job for a handyman. Done thousands. Complete doddle.

so finally after 3 or 4 long months you admit your nothing but a DIY`er. Joe - we knew it, anyone reading knew it ffs even the cat knew it so why were you in denial for so long, maybe your therapist could talk it through with you during this weeks appointment

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back