Am I being scammed by a gas-safe company?

I think that the objective was to service it and leave it working!

Makes me wonder how he could get paid.

I would not expect any of my customers to pay me for that.

If something is not working then I am expected to fix it!

Sponsored Links
Thank you everybody for your input. I haven't done anything about the fire but I think I have figured out what they guy did. Before he started, he adjusted something. I thought it was that gas pressure point because I couldn't see what else he could have been adjusting. But, I've read up on this: http://www.nationalboard.org/index.aspx?pageID=164&ID=236 and in particular this paragraph:

"The following two major reasons explain why the generation of carbon monoxide occurs in the combustion process:

• improper mixing of the combustion air with the fuel being burned; and
    • the lack of complete burning because of an inadequate supply of combustion air to the fuel-burning equipment.

Improper Mixing of Combustion Air and Fuel

The improper mixing of combustion air and fuel is most likely to occur because of the adjustment of certain components that comprise the burner. Given the fact that the majority of burners produced have undergone rigorous development and testing programs, first by the manufacturer, then by an independent testing agency, poor mixing is unlikely to be the result of a design deficiency. It is more likely to be the result of improper field adjustment or "tinkering." However, attention should be directed to ensuring that the burner receives an adequate supply of air to the combustion zone for complete burning to occur. "

I think he maladjusted the fuel/air mixture. On the fire as you see it in the picture is it possible that he did so? If that mixture had been set by the manufacturer it would never have been altered; all previous servicings and inspections would have been fine.

I think my next step is a solicitor, find an independent inspector and see if a fuel/air mixture had been tampered with. Are there, do you know, independent inspectors? Some official body maybe? Or can I get such an inspections for myself? Where would I begin to look?

But, thanks for everything so far. A pity I missed those deleted posts - I could maybe have done with them; if only to help me know what I'm talking about.

Sponsored Links
There are no aeration adjustments on that fire. It should only require a proper service and inspection and that's all. No Flue gas analysis is required on that fire. Your man was inexperienced with fires. Using his procedures, every flame effect fire ever made would be turned off. End Of

Get a solicitor payfor it an then u will see how a solicitor can charge.. everything u have written re adjustment is utter *******s

Thank you everybody for your input. I haven't done anything about the fire but I think I have figured out what they guy did. Before he started, he adjusted something. I thought it was that gas pressure point because I couldn't see what else he could have been adjusting. But, I've read up on this: http://www.nationalboard.org/index.aspx?pageID=164&ID=236 and in particular this paragraph:

"The following two major reasons explain why the generation of carbon monoxide occurs in the combustion process:

• the lack of complete burning because of an inadequate supply of combustion air to the fuel-burning equipment.

The improper mixing of combustion air and fuel is most likely to occur because of the adjustment of certain components that comprise the burner. Given the fact that the majority of burners produced have undergone rigorous development and testing programs, first by the manufacturer, then by an independent testing agency, poor mixing is unlikely to be the result of a design deficiency. It is more likely to be the result of improper field adjustment or "tinkering." However, attention should be directed to ensuring that the burner receives an adequate supply of air to the combustion zone for complete burning to occur. "

I think he maladjusted the fuel/air mixture. On the fire as you see it in the picture is it possible that he did so? If that mixture had been set by the manufacturer it would never have been altered; all previous servicings and inspections would have been fine.

I think my next step is a solicitor, find an independent inspector and see if a fuel/air mixture had been tampered with. Are there, do you know, independent inspectors? Some official body maybe? Or can I get such an inspections for myself? Where would I begin to look?

But, thanks for everything so far. A pity I missed those deleted posts - I could maybe have done with them; if only to help me know what I'm talking about.
:rolleyes::LOL: need to google harder and to topic/appliance

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:...fookin Pratt..

That's a pressure test point, so it's only used to measure burner pressure and it's meant to be tightened. More worrying is the fact that your numpty of a service man used a flue gas analyser on a balanced flue live flame effect fire. He's a waste of time and I would demand a re visit from someone more sensible. This industry is saturated with idiots. What does flue in poor condition mean? Unless it's rotted out or not sealed etc then what's he on about.

Thank you. Can I continue to pick your brains please? I know this guy adjusted something. Whatever he was manipulating didn't want to move; it took effort and the metal squealed. It hadn't been moved for some time. Then, when he lit the flame it was fierce - roaring and the heat output was tremendous. I don't know how it's burning now; he disconnected the gas.

The cage around the flue is corroded and has been banged about a bit. The flue itself seems fine. The mortar round it seems sound and firm with none of it missing or damaged. I can take a picture and put it up tomorrow?

Thank you for telling me that aeration on this machine isn't possible but I've woken in the middle of the night and now I can't sleep with this question in my mind - remembering my school chemistry lab and its bunsen burners - sixty years ago so my memory might be faulty. When we turned that little slider at the bottom we could turn the flame from a lazy flame into something quite fierce - I can't remember whether we had to let more air in or exclude it. Let more in, I think.

Now, what if .... I'm only asking what if ... What if that guy loosened that bolt; that pressure test point? Loosened it or even removed it. That would let air in? What effect would that have on the flame and on the emission of carbon monoxide? Would that have the effect of turning the flame into something fierce? What effect would it have on the emissions?

Since it's a balanced flue and, presumably, room sealed then why is the fire dangerous if there are no emissions into the room - only to the external atmosphere?

http://i64.tinypic.com/ohnwp4.jpg

To those wise guys - I'm only a civilian asking for help. I know a solicitor won't pop round to test pressures, make adjustments or make me a pot of tea. However, he might know where I can go to get an independent test done and, if he asks to have one done, he may do so with more authority than I have. Not have to put up with wisecracks, yes?

As soon as you qualified guys get your qualification, who supervises you? If some of you become incompetent or a bit, let's say, bent - who supervises you? Who gives you your certificate or who can take it away? If a bent MoT guy fails my car for his own reasons then there is someone I can go to have him checked out = or at least we believe there is.. Are you immune? Or are you all competent and honest? Even lawyers have a "Law Society" guarding professional standards. Are you immune? All powerful?

I catch a hint from other threads that there may be a "Gas Safe". Is this a professional body I could be looking at?

You are barking...
(1) mad
(2) up the wrong tree.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back