Am I being scammed by a gas-safe company?

Is "Herbert" your real Name?:sneaky:

Starting to smell a rat. You googled and found info on fires, yet you only seem to be mildly aware of Gas Safe?

You could contact Gas Safe, but employing a lawyer is nonsensical. What would you try to achieve? It will cost a packet, and if the RGI decides to dig his heels in, your lawyer will probably advise against further action, and present you with a bill to date.

Sponsored Links
It's not dangerous, the whole point of flame effect fires is that they burn very high in co to give you a more natural looking flame, they are designed like this and on this model non adjustable. The only danger is if you stick an analyser in the flue you can kiss the sensor in it goodbye.

Loose burner screw will give you a gas leak but won't affect combustion.

You sure he didn't clean the injectors so it is now letting the correct amount of gas through?, very easy to gas rate it yourself.

Just a thought, the plenums rot on these, are you sure he wasn't sniffing for an escape of fumes where they shouldn't be?

It's not dangerous, the whole point of flame effect fires is that they burn very high in co to give you a more natural looking flame, they are designed like this and on this model non adjustable. The only danger is if you stick an analyser in the flue you can kiss the sensor in it goodbye.

Loose burner screw will give you a gas leak but won't affect combustion.

You sure he didn't clean the injectors so it is now letting the correct amount of gas through?, very easy to gas rate it yourself.

Just a thought, the plenums rot on these, are you sure he wasn't sniffing for an escape of fumes where they shouldn't be?

Thanks. It's true I don't know what this guy did to modify the fire. So would you look please at what I do know. What I do know now, that is, found out from the sensible here. The fire was condemned on two grounds. Document pictured at my first post. The CO emission at the flue is beyond the permissible. Well, I now know that isn't true. It isn't dangerous and is sealed from the room anyway - going safely out the flue. More than one here has said so. I've also been able to look at a previous "safe" certificate where under the box for emissions it says N/A which I assume to mean not applicable in view of comments here. I suppose it could mean not available but then the question would have to be asked "why not available"?

Which brings up the second danger. Flue in poor condition. I've photographed it today. Here ls the flue.

vzwku0.jpg

It looks ok to me. There is no loose mortar; I can't touch it but it looks sound - and nor could the gas safe engineer touch it - he too could only look at it.

I think the two grounds for condemning the fire are pretty shaky.

Yes. I have found the complaints page https://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/help-and-advice/complaints-report-an-illegal/ but until I knew what to look for - there was nothing to google. That's why I came here.

Is "Herbert" your real Name?:sneaky:

Starting to smell a rat. You googled and found info on fires, yet you only seem to be mildly aware of Gas Safe?

You could contact Gas Safe, but employing a lawyer is nonsensical. What would you try to achieve? It will cost a packet, and if the RGI decides to dig his heels in, your lawyer will probably advise against further action, and present you with a bill to date.

No - thomas herbert was my father's name. His first two, that is.

You can put your rats away. I had no idea of Gas Safe.

I didn't know what I'm trying to achieve - I needed information. Though I think I now have it. My fire has been unfairly condemned and I want it back. I have the feeling that a lawyer might not be fobbed off with rubbish they way I might be and that it may be more likely to be successful; my guess that he will know more of the law than I do in these matters and will know where, if at all , this guy has broken laws. He will also be more familiar with claiming compensation for, perhaps, the expense I have been put to. Or perhaps a crime has been commited. Some sort of fraudulent intent.

These things I don't know but, I hope, he will.

Sponsored Links
You are barking...
(1) mad
(2) up the wrong tree.

You may well be right. That's what I came here to find out. I bet an articulate , intelligent chap like yourself with your obvious ability to sort thoughts into a logical order could tell me why. The information will be useful to me and I will thank you for it.

I didn't know what I'm trying to achieve - I needed information. Though I think I now have it. My fire has been unfairly condemned and I want it back. I have the feeling that a lawyer might not be fobbed off with rubbish they way I might be and that it may be more likely to be successful; my guess that he will know more of the law than I do in these matters and will know where, if at all , this guy has broken laws. He will also be more familiar with claiming compensation for, perhaps, the expense I have been put to. Or perhaps a crime has been commited. Some sort of fraudulent intent.
why would you pay money to see a lawyer when you can buy a new fire cheaper than your second hour . where's your sense man ??
also where is your immediately dangerous warning paperwork ???????

Get another RGI out (one who's experienced on fires), get him to re-do the service/safety check, then chase the previous company for the money they charged. They're not allowed to disconnect under false pretensions. (Unless it IS kaput) either way its win win for you.

why would you pay money to see a lawyer when you can buy a new fire cheaper than your second hour . where's your sense man ??
also where is your immediately dangerous warning paperwork ???????

Yes. That's true. I really hadn't thought so far ahead - I was just so angry with the feeling that I'd been duped. I'll take a while to think things through now. Thank you.

Is this what you mean? There are only the two items on it.
1zlds9x.jpg

Last edited:
Get another RGI out (one who's experienced on fires), get him to re-do the service/safety check, then chase the previous company for the money they charged. They're not allowed to disconnect under false pretensions. (Unless it IS kaput) either way its win win for you.

Yes - I'd thought of that and I think that'll probably be my next step. I've already googled a couple of local(ish) firms.

Thanks everybody for input. When it's over I'll report back.

If you tell us roughly what area you live someone might be able to recommend a good RGI for you (googling's a bit hitty missy).

If you tell us roughly what area you live someone might be able to recommend a good RGI for you (googling's a bit hitty missy).

I'm near Preston. I looked at this site:

http://www.myplumberinpreston.co.uk...ge-gas-safe/?gclid=CJyY_43motACFbYV0wodrLcB6Q

This is the request I've drafted. Sets out what I want, can they do it, can they provide me with a certificste acceptable to authorities;

I want a gas fire tested for gas safety - just a safety test, no servicing. In particular I want carbon monoxide emissions measured. I will want a written certificate of gas safety, including emission data, valid as proof of safety to a normal person or a written, concise, report of why it is unsafe.

My main concern is a reasonably accurate measurement of carbon monoxide emissions through a balanced flue to the atmosphere and any leakage to the room. My normal, commercial carbon monoxide room alarm has never detected emissions in the room. Do you have something more sensitive? I want to know if there is any sign of CO leakage insisde.

I'm uncertain of what make the fire is but I think it might be a Valor Homeflame or similar. If you give me an email address I can email you a picture of it.

Will you do such a check? Will you provide such a report and what will you expect to charge for this?

If you can meet my requirements at a charge we can agree then we can make an appointment for some time through this coming week?

You may get better results by using this service

https://www.trustmark.org.uk/

TrustMark is the only Government endorsed scheme for trades in and around the home. We award registered firms with our accreditation after thorough vetting and on-site inspections to ensure the firm is raising industry standards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back