Apprentice

And stop smoking and getting drunk.

That later letter from the banker missed a vital point! Remuneration!

You must say if you need to get paid and how much! You may think you are worth £10 an hour but that will recruit a two Polish or one English time served plumber.

If you can work without pay as a work experience trainee then that will increase you chances 100 times!

Tony

Sponsored Links
But how do you think that anyone at Uni lives while they are spending 3-4 years studying?

Tony

Sponsored Links
well i presume they dont live on the streets as i would have to

Most people when they are 18 live with parents or other close relatives and dont complete their education until they are 22 or 23 !

Tony

Oh you will be please Tony

I am now on to my forth day without the weed

So soon I can tap you up for an apprenticship

lmao

;)

well i presume they dont live on the streets as i would have to
No they don't. They get big loans though.
I didn't read well enough. You want to be an apprentice.
Apprenticeships started in the good old days, with the appy paying his teacher. Then it all went t*ts up when the communists or someone got involved, and the appies wanted paying.
Eventually the penny dropped that to train someone to take your job, and pay him as well, isn't very smart.

Plumbing used to be skilled. It isn't any more. You get a book and some Wickes leaflets and you can build a house. Diyers do plumbing all the time.
Get off your bum and start doing plumbing work. If you're too thick, go sweep roads.

But then i would have no were to live if i wasn't getting paid

OK then suppose you were a little more clever and were about to go to Uni then what would you live on for then for the next three years???

I am still waiting to hear why an 18 y.o. is not living at home, unless you have been chucked out for ..........

Tony

I am an aspirant plumber and enjoying the learning process. Prior to Nov just gone I knew zilch about plumbing - really, I did not know what an isolation valve was or that there was a coil inside my cylinder (I wouldn't even have known it was called a cylinder). Luckily I was able to do a course (during Nov/Dec) to get some basics and have been able to buy a van and tools and stock for that van (I am skint now).

The course was good but I agree with most people that its only a stepping stone and makes one, shall we say, either an "overconfident accident waiting to happen" or, for a more sensible person who knows their limits - "a competent plumber able to look after straight-forward plumbing tasks". It's what you do after basic training that is important and it's what happens inside your head that counts.

Many things, that at first seem insurmountable, can be made to happen if a person has the intelligence and get up and go...

I have an advantage over your average 18 year old (I am in my 40's) - I have somewhere to live and my wife is working extra to feed me and pay the bills whilst I have my little mid life crisis. I also was able to obtain a van and some tools and van stock. Your advantage is that you are young and don't have a wife ;) Seriously though, you have time on your side... plumbing is not going to go away.

I would suggest that you get a job - any job. Maybe that job involves working in a shop/selling burgers/whatever. Ideally you want a low stress job that doesn't sap ALL your energy and pays your basic rent and food etc. DO NOT build up any overheads (no loans/credit cards/weekly this and that). Treat every penny as if it is extremely valuable and do not buy drink, smokes, anything useless or unnecessary. Buy a few good plumbing tools on Ebay. Only spend money on that which will take you closer to your goal (does that CD take you closer to your goal, do you really need a £20 t-shirt etc.).

In your spare time you research everything you can about plumbing:

You read books
You search the web and research everything to do with plumbing and central heating
You go to builder's merchants/DIY stores and check out every single item they sell to do with plumbing (spend all day in there if you want). If you don't understand an item go back home and look it up on the web.

And you enjoy almost every minute of it... otherwise you will not make it happen and what exactly is the point? What is the point of spending hours a day doing something you hate?

Yesterday I went to EcoBuild at Earl's Court. Train fare was £60 for me but free to get in. I learned a lot...

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER

You ask every person you know if you can investigate their plumbing system - document their systems... what type are they, how are they put together... what's that valve do, why is it there. Crawl around their lofts etc.

You practice your art at home - rank beginners can buy some copper pipe (or hassle a few plumbers for their off cuts etc.) and practice bending soldering etc. The majority of what I did on my course can be done at home. Okay it's all more difficult doing it in your kitchen but it can be done.

Think about it this way... if somebody said that in two years you must be earning £250 a week plumbing or else you will shot dead... then you would make it happen. You can even change that to a higher figure - you can make it happen. You never give up. Every problem can be solved.

You start doing small jobs on your own house, parent's house, mates house - let them buy the bits and you do the work - do it reasonably cheaply and do it bloody well. Turn away anything that is too much but don't be scared to push yourself a bit. Remember - knowledge is power - once you understand systems and concepts then you know how to switch off the hot and cold water and once that bit is out of the way then changing a mixer tap is as easy as buying it and reading the instructions and fitting it. I did this very job yesterday - it actually took me 2 1/2 hours because underneath the sink was like spaghetti junction. I fitted iso valves at same time. Customer supplied tap. £62.50 into bank.

If the will is there then you WILL make it happen. Necessity is the mother of invention.

My father owned an old factory with a septic tank and a pumping station. The pipes from the tank to the main sewage system was his responsibility and leaked into a farmer's field. He got a quote to sort this out and it was something like £5k (multiple leaks and some under a hedge). My father found a guy with a JCB and over a weekend three of us dug down in four places and found four leaks (every time we mended one another seemed to spring up/get worse as pressure increased). We mended the pipes by drying them out with fires then fibreglassing the pipes up (factory used fibreglass). He saved a fortune (I got a few pints out of it lol). Without going into reasons of why and how he also find out something that the local water undertaker had done wrong up at the mains and he sent them a bill for a few thousand for our costs incurred on our pipe - and they sent him a cheque. So he actually made a few grand from the whole thing! I'm rambling now, apologies... but one more interesting thing: the guy in the JCB enjoyed the whole thing so much he set up his own drain clearing company - actually built his own camera on wheels "cos they cost too much" and went on to do very nicely mending underground pipes with a technology where you pump resin down some kind of pipe lining system... last I heard he owns various ventures and lives in a bloody lovely house. He doesn't say too much or talk about it and never moans about anything - he just "gets on with it".

Good luck anyway...

Good story, nicely told.

You deserve to succeed, but with the experience you have got I would be nervous about inviting you into my house. The next two years are going to be very tough on your own, I can't tell you how much better you would be if you got a job as a mate for a year first.

But good luck!

I don't disagree that it will be tough. I am striving to find somebody to work with and ideally would like to do do two to three days a week as "a mate". As we all know the problem is that I will benefit from his training and eventually "bugger off" and compete against him.

I'm not sure if things are quite that way though - there can be synergy. Two people are often needed for some jobs and if one person gets over busy they can pass work to the other and the same vice versa. Also one may hate unblocking drains and can pass it to the other - or one might focus on gas and allow his "mate" to do the pipework etc.

Time will tell...

Yes there can be a sensible arrangement, mutually beneficial. With your attitude I think you'll be fine - I wish you luck.

It is very hard to find some to work with like myself

38 years old done 3 years at college{night}
my firm moved to china {worked there for 22years}
so thats why i leant a trade{plumbing & gas}
i offer my services to local plumbers for free in the cambridgeshire area .
just to get experience.
thinking off now doing a met-uk course in gas .
so if theres anybody need any help in cambridgeshire are i am offering my services .
i bring my own sandwiches and flask.

cheers paul

Lightening, as you would not be competing with our work then I might consider offering you free work experience if you could get to London for a few days from time to time.

With me you get full hands on experience as i stand and watch and answer the phone.

One trainee was with this fellow as one of three trainees and all they did was sit and watch the boss doing his jobs. The trainees never touched anything!

Tony

There are so many people trying to get into plumbing its not as good or rich as the media want people to think
If i had a pound for every person who said PLUMBER you must be well off anyway can you do this job cheap :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back