Best professional wireless burglar alarm system?

I looked at the Visonic Powermax series, but it was a bit out of my budget and there was the question whether it was truley 2 way between the panel and the PIR's

Also why is there not a wireless remote keypad OR are the guys at MAP Security fobbing me off?

I don't think there is one, I can't find any such wireless RKP listed under the accessories on Pyronix's website.

@ EVEARES - let us know your thoughts on the home control system - nice to have a tester:D

Will do.

Sponsored Links
I'm curious to know how about the Pyronix Enforcer HomeControl+ Panel if you would like to post an update. Information on the tecnicalities of it seem very very slim on the ground. I did find a Russian site which mentioned integration of CCTV to this system - but nowhere else.

One thing i'd like to know is how the comms is done to the pyronixcloud - from what I can gather it is GPRS only? No wifi or Ethernet? If so, how much data does it use?

Is there a technical manual one can download from somewhere so I can see the capabilities before I buy? From what i've read, if you have the GPRS module, you can also do SMS control of this unit - is that right?

What about home automation - what is available?

So many questions - no answers to be found on the Pyronix website!

homecontrol+ has only recently been launched in the UK and the cameras for the system are not going to be ready until Christmas at the earliest according to the rep I spoke to about a week ago.

I wont be looking at this in any detail until the cameras are available, if you phone pyronix tomorrow they may be able to give you more specific answers

I'm not hung up on the camera stuff - though if it can be added to existing system in the future - fantastic! Same with home automation. A nice to have, and I can wait if it is just a software update, or buying some extra bits (i'm hoping they will use some sort of industry standard like X10).

What I really am interested in right now - is the alarm system - and the SMS and remote management capabilities. If anyone knows more - please post. It would seem that the remote Homecontrol+ stuff is GPRS only. Which is OK (i'd prefer wifi/ethernet - maybe that will come in the future?) - but how much data does it use? GPRS is slow at the best of times - so i'm thinking it doesn't use much data at all - unless it does some constant phone-home type efforts to the cloud, or downloads loads of updates?

Sponsored Links
Bit of Google-Fu found an old Pyronix roadmap that have a DIGI-GPRS, DIGI-LAN, and DIGI-WIFI modules. Well these were on the roadmap for release November 2014 :) So I presume they are still coming. It also speaks of a home automation module, and Video Cloud storage.

Sorry for the late reply everyone; helping my grandparents with their big move to Kent along with undertaking a big Intruder Alarm/CCTV/Networking Job that did not go entirely to plan has delayed me from posting an update.

I started the Intruder Alarm/CCTV system install on the 15th July and have been working on it on and off since then when I could. I only completed all of it about a week ago. So far I am loving the system and everything is working smoothly, although it is early days and not enough time has gone by to properly evaluate things like PIR battery life, wireless reliability, future feature expansion, etc...

The IP cams used are the Foscam HD POE FI9805EP cams.

I will be posting an in depth thread in the Home Automation section of the forum at some point in the future detailing the networking/home automation side of my system that I have in place (Including the 100M of CAT 5e cable/ 30M CAT 6 cable that I went through), but for now here this:

The Box: Just the box that the bulk of my intruder alarm system came in. Also bought GPRS module + 4 extra PIR's.

The Panel: The Pyronix Enforcer HomeControl+ panel along with a X10 powerflash module in the box above for controlling the X10 enabled porch light from the panel.

General view: General view of the cupboard where everything is located including the data cabinet for the Network/CCTV stuff. (Not shown is a 1500VA UPS for the 6U data cabinet.)

FCU's: Left = 13A Socket, Middle = Data Cabinet, Right = Intruder Alarm.

Data Cabinet: 6U Data Cabinet with a old 2006 Mac Mini running Webcam XP, plus two network switches (one POE for IP cam's, one Gigabit for high speed stuff), a NAS drive, a Printer server and a online energy monitor.

PIR: Just a look of 1 of the 6 PIR's installed. All have LED's disabled, Pet mask removed, and sensitivity set to high.

Door Magnet: Umm?, what can I say - It's a wireless door contact.

GPRS Antenna: I live in a poor GPRS coverage area, plus panel being in cupboard meant supplied antenna was 100% useless. Antenna is 15dBi GSM/3G type with MMCX connection, got from eBay with 5 meters cable. It is located in the loft space.

Incompatible GPRS Module: 2nd GPRS module with the wrong and incompatible software revision on it, (has v1.14 despite being labelled v2.66). 1st GPRS module was dead on arrival. So to sort this snag out took a bit of time to figure out and resolve.

Bell Box and CCTV Camera: I ended up hard wiring the existing bell box (Reson 8 ) due to the wall is not rendered behind it and to eliminate the wireless constraints. Cam number 2 above bell box.

Front door cam: Camera number 1 captures the front door and the pathway leading up to it.

Side ally cam: Thought you could get in without being seen - Think again.

Junction box for cam above Bell box: Box on the wall houses all the connections for the POE IP Cam above the bell box.

The iphone App: I have deliberately blanked out my Systems name after the word Disconnect.

&

Overview:

So far I am pleased with the system and everything is working as expected, although my three complaints are:

1) It's very very cramped inside the panel:censored::mad:(n), so I would recommend for anyone wanting to make use of the wired inputs/outputs to get the "Enforcer Spacer".

2) Be careful as the plastic is delicate and easy to break. I ended up having to super glue the nuts at the bottom on top as the plastic what holds them in broke on me - mind you I was constantly opening it up when I was dealing with the GPRS issue.

3) I ideally wanted it wired to my Ethernet based LAN using the Digi-LAN module due to it being in a downstairs cupboard and getting poor mobile reception in general, but I could not source a place what sells the Digi-LAN module :(:cry:. Although it's to late now and the the Digi-GPRS is now working fine :D with my big antenna in the loft.

Other then them few issues, being able to control and check everything when I am away is a real bonus. Mind you I had to lower the default volume of the panel/internal sounder - was as load as the main external bell! :eek::censored::!:Wish I put on hearing protection when powering the panel up for the first time - much louder than your typical honeywell optima compact system.

I will post more updates as time goes on and as my system and the Pyronix Cloud service develops, but for now thanks for ready. Any questions are of course welcome.

Regards: Elliott

Last edited:
What I really am interested in right now - is the alarm system - and the SMS and remote management capabilities. If anyone knows more - please post. It would seem that the remote Homecontrol+ stuff is GPRS only. Which is OK (i'd prefer wifi/ethernet - maybe that will come in the future?) - but how much data does it use? GPRS is slow at the best of times - so i'm thinking it doesn't use much data at all - unless it does some constant phone-home type efforts to the cloud, or downloads loads of updates?

From what I can tell, most of the communication to and from the panel to the Pyronix Cloud is done with very little data. Although it does require a GPRS connection and a 3G only connection such as what "3" use will not work. I have it set up using a 3G giffgaff sim on the £5 goodybag; I have only used 1MB of data so far in the last week. I have also gone through 27 texts, although most of them were sent by the panel every time I entered and exited engineers mode and they were simply sent because I entered my and my mums mobile number into the panel.

You can control (inc. Set, Unset, Part set, Checking system status, Check and control Automation outputs, and edit SMS telephone numbers) the panel through standard SMS messages and you can in theory program the panel via the computer using the UDL software what is downloadable pyronix's website - however their is currently no UDL software available for the UK Enforcer HomeControl+ panels.

I think hope (and assume) that they will eventually release the Wi-Fi and LAN modules for the UK market, as described in the programming literature and clearley listed in the "communications>data network set-up" section of the engineers menu.

Lastly, I have not looked into the cameras as I have my own independent set-up for them, although the Pyronix iPhone app does seem to pick them up using their P2P function on my network - although nothing displays as expected.

Have you interfaced the X10 to the Enforcer? What kind of home automation options are available from the Enforcer?

Do you think it uses data when not in use?

Last edited:
Interesting to note that two of your cameras are within range of an aerosol paint spray.
And the CCTV recordings are on a nice portable NAS ...

Cynical? Moi?

"and sensitivity set to high."

Don't complain about false activations then will you.

Have you interfaced the X10 to the Enforcer?

Only via the PGM output on the enforcer to the one X10 power flash module above it. For my main X10 control, I am using a CM11 module with Home seer on the mac mini server.

What kind of home automation options are available from the Enforcer?

You can get an 16 way remote output expander board to make use of more than the 1 built in user programmable output. Any data it uses when not in use will be minute, I estimate it will use about 5MB of data a month.

Interesting to note that two of your cameras are within range of an aerosol paint spray.

I live in a bungalow so there was limited places I could mount them; plus even if they were high up, one could still cut a cable or break in wearing a balaclava.

And the CCTV recordings are on a nice portable NAS ...

Yes and also upload via FTP to my 1&1 hosted VPS server.

"and sensitivity set to high."

Don't complain about false activations then will you.

That is the default sensitivity the PIR's are set to and I have no false alarm yet...

Do you have un-obvious video storage as well?

What do you mean?, I save the images locally and to a remote server.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back