Blown render!! Please Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Freddie said:
My external finish coat that legs did was really applied in two coats and the set up was down to me and set up by me.

You twist the truth as nobody has known jbonding and know as much about Ireland and the Irish as i know about the planet Neptune, **** all.

whats the subject of this thread?youve admitted enough times that your not a plasterer and youve not got a clue. you know nothing about ireland and you dont wish to.have you mixed up enough of that magic orange masonry paint that stops cracks that you invented :LOL:when you say planet neptune does that mean rendering in that part of britain you live in ;)

Is it still going on?:LOL:
_41075360_sleepingmidshipmen_ap416.jpg

Sponsored Links
J Bonding you are feckin unhinged boy
By the way Freddie the point you made about the substance painted onto fresh render before actually painting it is a stabiliser and is sold in Heitons, Chadwicks, The N.C.F, and Arrow, ............of course it could be a figment of my imagination. :LOL: ...I found it weeks ago but as the thread had at the time dissapeared did not mention it.
Cue J.Bonding nonsense!

jbonding said:
legs-akimbo said:
O the Irony about not finding work here.....from a geezer who spends his days on this forum, because he ...errrrrrrr hasnt any work!!!!
You have no idea as to why I live in Ireland J bonding, and as for working in England as I have said, and you are the living proof of, its all tuppence hapenny work being a plasterer in the U.K. a monkey could do it, the real artisans of the trade are few and far between. You do have to step away from your front door to be able to hold a valid opinion J.B. if you have no experience of other working practices and methods, or anything at all in your case then you really should not be making such a mockery of yourself.

legs you only ever talk about rendering, and im coming to the conclusion that you mix cement for a gang of plasterers. Ive asked you in the past if you had any quals but you never said. Your totally confused as to wether a waterproofer should be in the scratchcoat,topcoat,both coats or one or the other. you turned up at freddies and launched a load of sand and cement onto freddies wall and left him to finish it so you could rush home for tea. Are you familier with all plastering techniques solid and fibrous internal and external or do you just render houses, or mix for someone.do you apply external render in one coat?if not, why and what would happen?would it fall off in sheets?why do some people do this technique inside?so why do you not employ some walter mitty off a forum to do your rendering?is it a) because they may not be what they say they are. b) because they might leave you to rub it up yourself. or c) Both.
i ask again!

legs-akimbo said:
J Bonding you are feckin unhinged boy
By the way Freddie the point you made about the substance painted onto fresh render before actually painting it is a stabiliser and is sold in Heitons, Chadwicks, The N.C.F, and Arrow, ............of course it could be a figment of my imagination. :LOL: ...I found it weeks ago but as the thread had at the time dissapeared did not mention it.
Cue J.Bonding nonsense!

does it stop cracking like the one freddie invented? :LOL:

Hey J.B ask me twenty five times and I will give you some answers....At least you will get them unlike the answers that were not forthcoming from you.
It (claims) it does say something along those lines if I recall, when I call into the merchants next week I will get the name of it and see if I can find it on the net.
Will be popsting up some pictures so you can see exactly what I do...have you the balls to do the same?

Freddie said:
,,,,,,,,,,,,,, as i know about the planet Neptune, **** all.

You are talking out of Uranus.

joe

legs-akimbo said:
Hey J.B ask me twenty five times and I will give you some answers....At least you will get them unlike the answers that were not forthcoming from you.
It (claims) it does say something along those lines if I recall, when I call into the merchants next week I will get the name of it and see if I can find it on the net.
Will be popsting up some pictures so you can see exactly what I do...have you the balls to do the same?

im not interested in sealers i know they exist, answer the questions, legs you only ever talk about rendering, and im coming to the conclusion that you mix cement for a gang of plasterers. Ive asked you in the past if you had any quals but you never said. Your totally confused as to wether a waterproofer should be in the scratchcoat,topcoat,both coats or one or the other and your also confusing other people.

Ha Ha Ha the only person confused here is yourself J B ....You are a man that could have an argument in an empty house.
Qualifications....Not a sausage other than an O level in history.
When (and well before) I left school my old man had a building firm and I went to work with him...I was given a choice to learn a trade, go to college and do sparkieing, plumbing, or stay on site and do bricklaying with the old fella or plastering with his mates. I chose plastering and learned from the old school artisans, I can do more than any plasterer I have ever met and better because I dont gob off about things I have no experience with while at the same time have lived in a few countries and have learnt more and differing methods and materials where ever I went.
I have met many many spreads who have been at it for thirty years and are still garbage, and just as many incompetant morons who flash an NVQ in your face and smugly think they are an authority( ring any bells).
One thing I do not need to do is tell porkies, I dont need to gild the lilly in any way...if there is something I dont know I am quite happy to be educated by others.
As for Waterproofer, I use it daily, I would bet you only get to externally render a house once every other year at most, so stop chasing your tail on this one as everyone who has read this thread is crystal clear on this except you.
Well hey you didnt even need to ask me twenty five times, .......But for the twenty sixth time of asking .....How do you make Quoin stones...will you ignore my question yet again
Now lets here you spout off like the spoiled little pain in the ass that annoys every one he encounters with his delusions of self importance " O yah Iv'e got a degwee you know".
You have a qualification, phahhh.... if you think this automatically puts you head and shoulders above others then be as smug as you like, I could have fed you any old bul lshit but I state again I dont need to pretend, I am too busy out earning a living, you should try it some time instead of spending your days on this forum.
In fact heres a challenge ...why dont you have a Busmans holiday in Ireland some time early next spring and come and do some with me and my gang ...lets see if you can cut the mustard with some real plastering...I am deadly serious.

I have a place in France. I also know a few others who have renovated over there, and all sorts of weird and wonderful solutions appear from time to time. One friend converted a two storey barn into apartments. He has managed to transform the external walls using the following method, they all look like new build bath stone now that they have weathered a bit.

Is he mad or is there some sense in what he has done?:

Chop off the render, and rake the joints as deep as reasonably possible.

Mix up a 6:1 mix (experiment, cos different sands behave differently) of white cement (ciment Blanc) and a local sand - Sable de Bayeux, our local sand is quite light in colour.

Mix it to a creamy porridge consistancy, such that when flung at the wall from the top surface of a large trowel with the flick a strong wrist, it enters deep into the joint and stays there.

I added an egg cup or two of Sikka Latex waterproofer to the mix to keep the rain from soaking into the wall. Others mix in 20% chaux or hydraulic lime, which both keeps the dried cement a bit flexible, and lets it "breath" to allow rising damp to dry its way out of the wall.

A bit contentious here. I put my rooms on the first floor, not least to get them above the normal level that rising damp will reach, then waterproofed it. The old way is to use lime.....but all the old houses I know are damp as a sponge...so does the chaux reduce the problem of damp or not ? The flexibility is useful, but then again if the building has been around a hundred years or so, how much more is it going to shift now ??

Fling your porridge at the wall off a large mortar board to hold it on, and using the biggest trowel you can comfortably handle.

Cover a section of wall entirely, stones and all, not just aiming at the joints. Do only enough that you are confident you will be able to wire brush off before the whole lot goes off solid, or conversly, that will go off enough to be brushed off before darkness falls and you find yourself knackered and asleep on the scafolding at midnight !

once its on the wall, dont fiddle about prodding and pushing the mortar about - you end up pushing the water out to the surface, and it all starts falling off.

Do a comfortable area, eg a couple of buckets worth of cement, then using a soft broom head, brush over what you have done, smoothing it out all over the stones, and wipeing off a bit of the excess, at the same time pushing out any air pockets in the joints.

Do a wheel barrow full of cement, then go get lunch. Come back and start raking out tomorrow's joints, keeping an eye on the drying rate of whatyou have done.

As soon as the first bits dry out to the point where you can scratch it with your nail and it crumbles away as almost dry grains of sand, get a medium soft wire brush and start scrubbing off the stones.

Brush the stones one at a time, all over from all directions, carefully flicking out the almost dry cement from the detail of the stone.

Do not brush the joints - they will end up brushed as a function of carefully cleaning off the stone. Brush the joints deliberately, and you will go back to empty joints before you realise it !!

If the cement starts to smear on the stones - STOP.,

It isn't dry enough yet, and looks rubbish when its finished, all smeary and all but impossible to clean off.

Wait 10 - 20 mins and start again.

After you have finished a section, gently flick off the joints wiith your soft broom head to smooth off the finish a bit.

Do a little the first day - better to work up to the maximim possible in a day. Best done between 2 people, one mixes and carries, the other flings.

Work top down.

Once finished and properly dry, it looks far too white like a Spanish appartment building, but this mellows and the stone colours come out over a couple of years.

I am thinking of doing the same, but would rather consult the experts first!

Cheers

Rob G

legs-akimbo said:
Ha Ha Ha the only person confused here is yourself J B ....You are a man that could have an argument in an empty house.
Qualifications....Not a sausage other than an O level in history.
When (and well before) I left school my old man had a building firm and I went to work with him...I was given a choice to learn a trade, go to college and do sparkieing, plumbing, or stay on site and do bricklaying with the old fella or plastering with his mates. I chose plastering and learned from the old school artisans, I can do more than any plasterer I have ever met and better because I dont gob off about things I have no experience with while at the same time have lived in a few countries and have learnt more and differing methods and materials where ever I went.
I have met many many spreads who have been at it for thirty years and are still garbage, and just as many incompetant morons who flash an NVQ in your face and smugly think they are an authority( ring any bells).
One thing I do not need to do is tell porkies, I dont need to gild the lilly in any way...if there is something I dont know I am quite happy to be educated by others.
As for Waterproofer, I use it daily, I would bet you only get to externally render a house once every other year at most, so stop chasing your tail on this one as everyone who has read this thread is crystal clear on this except you.
Well hey you didnt even need to ask me twenty five times, .......But for the twenty sixth time of asking .....How do you make Quoin stones...will you ignore my question yet again
Now lets here you spout off like the spoiled little pain in the ass that annoys every one he encounters with his delusions of self importance " O yah Iv'e got a degwee you know".
You have a qualification, phahhh.... if you think this automatically puts you head and shoulders above others then be as smug as you like, I could have fed you any old bul lshit but I state again I dont need to pretend, I am too busy out earning a living, you should try it some time instead of spending your days on this forum.
In fact heres a challenge ...why dont you have a Busmans holiday in Ireland some time early next spring and come and do some with me and my gang ...lets see if you can cut the mustard with some real plastering...I am deadly serious.

completely un-qualified, i thought so, forget the quoins you lost that argument on ashlar a long time ago.you only know as much as the person who taught you knows,dont slag quals because you havent got any. i agree there are good spreads with or without quals but they only stick to one thing,ie rendering or skimming just plasterboards.you say you do more than any plasterer youve met, more what?whether i get to render a house once a year or every 5 years makes no odds, the techniques been the same for a long long time. i didnt say i had a degwee as you put it, hate the game not the player.lol. so your next rendering jobs in the spring hey, were abouts are you?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back