Blown render!! Please Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
:D And heres to the next twenty pages....J bonding may have learnt a thing or two from me by then!!!! :eek: :D

Freddie said:
jbonding said:
its probably blown because you never applied a scratch coat and applied in one coat.

But all internal hard wall of sand/cement is one coat over here, if it were 2 coat no door frame would fit.

it doesnt matter where you live sand and cement is applied in atleast two coats have you not learnt anything yet :cry:

Sponsored Links
Well,

You may or may not be interested to know (if you can remember that far back) that I checked my handy work today, (the rendering that sparked this whole debate) and it appears to be fine now! :D

So a big thank you to one and all, and I have learned something from all of you!!! ;)

Hope you all have a nice XMAS!

jbonding said:
Freddie said:
jbonding said:
its probably blown because you never applied a scratch coat and applied in one coat.

But all internal hard wall of sand/cement is one coat over here, if it were 2 coat no door frame would fit.

it doesnt matter where you live sand and cement is applied in atleast two coats have you not learnt anything yet :cry:

Errrrrr! Not so at all at all atall J B....In fact many spreads lay on one thick coat of render, particularly on a doorless windowless wall rule it off fill in the slacks rule it again and half an hour later float and devil it. Job done. Personally I like to lay on a tight coat immediately after the first as this will rule with an 8Ft feather edge closed up to perfection...No slacks and will float in seconds when ready. Like I say after twenty more pages!!!!!!!!.

legs-akimbo said:
jbonding said:
Freddie said:
jbonding said:

Errrrrr! Not so at all at all atall J B....In fact many spreads lay on one thick coat of render, particularly on a doorless windowless wall rule it off fill in the slacks rule it again and half an hour later float and devil it. Job done. Personally I like to lay on a tight coat immediately after the first as this will rule with an 8Ft feather edge closed up to perfection...No slacks and will float in seconds when ready. Like I say after twenty more pages!!!!!!!!.

whatever!

Freddie,

I learned

1.) Not to use PVA as a cure for everything (see another of my postings where I trusted it on an artex ceiling and the whole lot came down as I was giving it it's final trowel!) Mechanical key is the best

2.) It's not good practice to use waterproofer in the scratch coat.

3.) That the floating coat needs to be weaker than the scratch.

4.) There is more than one way of doing things and different people use different (but equally as good :?: ) techniques.

5.) That things haven't changed for 15 years with building site / inter trades banter.

6.) That english tradesman are now emigrating to Eire to work (how things change) I bet there are no signs in the emerald isle on hotels, pubs, shops etc saying 'NO ENGLISH WELCOME' :!:

7.) That some people have alot of time on their hands spending hours helping others on web sites like this, for which I, along with many others are eternally grateful for!

I would still like to learn what deviling is tho. Legs said you do it after floating. I'm assuming it means floating again with a steel trowel for a smoother finish :rolleyes:

dougalhouse said:
Freddie,

I learned

1.) Not to use PVA as a cure for everything (see another of my postings where I trusted it on an artex ceiling and the whole lot came down as I was giving it it's final trowel!) Mechanical key is the best

2.) It's not good practice to use waterproofer in the scratch coat.

3.) That the floating coat needs to be weaker than the scratch.

4.) There is more than one way of doing things and different people use different (but equally as good :?: ) techniques.

5.) That things haven't changed for 15 years with building site / inter trades banter.

6.) That english tradesman are now emigrating to Eire to work (how things change) I bet there are no signs in the emerald isle on hotels, pubs, shops etc saying 'NO ENGLISH WELCOME' :!:

7.) That some people have alot of time on their hands spending hours helping others on web sites like this, for which I, along with many others are eternally grateful for!

I would still like to learn what deviling is tho. Legs said you do it after floating. I'm assuming it means floating again with a steel trowel for a smoother finish :rolleyes:

1,pva isnt a cure for everything but reskimming over aretex is one of ots uses.i agree mechanical is better.

2it is good practice to add a waterproofer to your scratch coat.

3 correct.

4 true.

5 true.

6 only the ones who cant find work here, the irish are one of the most welcoming people in the world.

7 true.

8 deviling = applying a key to render.

O the Irony about not finding work here.....from a geezer who spends his days on this forum, because he ...errrrrrrr hasnt any work!!!!
You have no idea as to why I live in Ireland J bonding, and as for working in England as I have said, and you are the living proof of, its all tuppence hapenny work being a plasterer in the U.K. a monkey could do it, the real artisans of the trade are few and far between. You do have to step away from your front door to be able to hold a valid opinion J.B. if you have no experience of other working practices and methods, or anything at all in your case then you really should not be making such a mockery of yourself.

legs-akimbo said:
O the Irony about not finding work here.....from a geezer who spends his days on this forum, because he ...errrrrrrr hasnt any work!!!!
You have no idea as to why I live in Ireland J bonding, and as for working in England as I have said, and you are the living proof of, its all tuppence hapenny work being a plasterer in the U.K. a monkey could do it, the real artisans of the trade are few and far between. You do have to step away from your front door to be able to hold a valid opinion J.B. if you have no experience of other working practices and methods, or anything at all in your case then you really should not be making such a mockery of yourself.

legs you only ever talk about rendering, and im coming to the conclusion that you mix cement for a gang of plasterers. Ive asked you in the past if you had any quals but you never said. Your totally confused as to wether a waterproofer should be in the scratchcoat,topcoat,both coats or one or the other. you turned up at freddies and launched a load of sand and cement onto freddies wall and left him to finish it so you could rush home for tea. Are you familier with all plastering techniques solid and fibrous internal and external or do you just render houses, or mix for someone.do you apply external render in one coat?if not, why and what would happen?would it fall off in sheets?why do some people do this technique inside?so why do you not employ some walter mitty off a forum to do your rendering?is it a) because they may not be what they say they are. b) because they might leave you to rub it up yourself. or c) Both.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back