Boulter Camray 5 Oil Boiler

Sponsored Links
Might be worth asking your oil supplier if they can recommend anyone, they may have service engineers in another part of the company...

possibly also for not being OFTEC registered as I believe that is necesary for working on oil-boilers, isn't it ?

There is no requirement for OFTEC registration to work on oil boilers.

But it helps if you are!!

I am, but it's not helped me learn anything about fault finding, repairs, servicing or modifications. What it has taught me about is rules and regulations. It's not even the only route to self certification any more.

Well I am in North west Gloucestershire if it is any help. OFTEC registered Commissioning abd servicing Engineer...

....don't let my nick name put you off!

Sponsored Links
At 6 years old, the burner should be a model RDB ( with a red plastic cover on the left hand side. You don't say which output your boiler is, but typically oil pressure on this range is 100-105 psi. Too much oil has same effect as too little air. If it has burnt out baffles, then this indicates overfiring. If burner is not now starting when reset button pressed, is reset lighting up? Does it go out when pressed? If so , how long before it lights up again? Could be problem with capacitor, but after so many resets, all sort of problems can occur. Good luck with Homeserve, but I think they just trawl local directories, so you're not sure who you get.

I am, but it's not helped me learn anything about fault finding, repairs, servicing or modifications. What it has taught me about is rules and regulations. It's not even the only route to self certification any more.[/quote]

As a certifying body, OFTEC will not necessarily teach you about fault finding. It teaches rules and regs, because it assumes you know what you are doing. In the same way, Gas Safe does not teach you, it only recognises your ability to pass ACS, which again is rules and regs.
What these bodies give to a consumer is a route back to complain if your service is shoddy.

As a certifying body, OFTEC will not necessarily teach you about fault finding. It teaches rules and regs, because it assumes you know what you are doing. In the same way, Gas Safe does not teach you, it only recognises your ability to pass ACS, which again is rules and regs.
What these bodies give to a consumer is a route back to complain if your service is shoddy.

You will see that comments were in reply to Tipper's claim that 'it helps to be OFTEC' registered. What I'm saying is that for the purposes of getting the OP's boiler fixed it doesn't, as you seem to have inadvertantly agreed with your statement above.

current situation is this - due to us having an option with our bank for emergency cover where they pay up to a £1,000 of repairs we have recieved the call from Homeserve (one of the banks preferred suppliers) and someone is coming today between 1pm & 5pm so fingers crossed we'll have some sort of diagnosis!!

The guy we've been using now for nearly 30 years now is a one man band operator and up until now we thought all ok and reliable however now know otherwise.

Hopefully once this is fixed we will be sourcing a company to service etc going forward.

Thanks so much for the replies and comments posted so far they've been really helpful , i'll post up again when i know more just to keep you all in the loop.

Bye for now from a very cold & fed up female

current situation is this - due to us having an option with our bank for emergency cover where they pay up to a £1,000 of repairs we have recieved the call from Homeserve (one of the banks preferred suppliers) and someone is coming today between 1pm & 5pm so fingers crossed we'll have some sort of diagnosis!!

The guy we've been using now for nearly 30 years now is a one man band operator and up until now we thought all ok and reliable however now know otherwise.

Hopefully once this is fixed we will be sourcing a company to service etc going forward.

Thanks so much for the replies and comments posted so far they've been really helpful , i'll post up again when i know more just to keep you all in the loop.

Guy form Homeserve turned up at 1.10pm and said oh no the office told me it was a gas boiler and showed us a text message they'd sent him saying this so he said i'm not registered to work on oil boilers so it'll have to be referred back to the office :evil:

The office then rang and said thursday - not good enough we said so were now waiting for another call :(

Just wondering whats up with your guy of 30 years service.....?
He should be able to sort your problem out in his sleep, you would have thought.
Fingers crossed for a warm evening!
John :)

Guy form Homeserve turned up at 1.10pm and said oh no the office told me it was a gas boiler and showed us a text message they'd sent him saying this so he said i'm not registered to work on oil boilers so it'll have to be referred back to the office icon_evil.gif
He doesn't need to be registered to fix it...I've followed on from a couple engineers called out through bank policies as they couldn't fix the problem...

You may get a positive response if you call your oil supplier for a recommendation, longer you leave the less chance you'll get anyone this side of Christmas...

Guy form Homeserve turned up at 1.10pm and said oh no the office told me it was a gas boiler and showed us a text message they'd sent him saying this so he said i'm not registered to work on oil boilers so it'll have to be referred back to the office :evil:

The office then rang and said thursday - not good enough we said so were now waiting for another call :(

Now completely fed up as rang to chase again and told Homeserve can't get anyone :evil:

We've just decided to find someone ourselves independantly and rang Worcester Bosch and someones coming tomorrow @ 8am and its gonna cost a further £210.00 + HOWEVER we'll have to worry about that once it's sorted as my mum's now ill due to the cold :evil:

Ye gods :confused:
At least the bits for this burner are widely available so surely there will be a change in luck......its just not funny, this one.
John :( :)

Hi wilsoc any joy with WB?
I hear they won't touch anything outside the boiler casing but they do carry a good stock of parts.

If your burner doesn't do anything at all once you press the lockout, I guess the motor is kaput, as suggested...unless the system has an air pressure switch somewhere.
Anyway, hope you get it sorted real soon - we would appreciate a post back with the result!
John :)

Well i'm pleased to say that the man from Worcester Bosch arrived this morning as promised just after 10am and in less than half an hour diagnosed the problem ~ Photocell not reading correctly and the other general settings weren't right (smoke/air etc)Apparently reason baffles burnt right threw was down to this.

Bascially he's reset things correctly and checked each everythings now correct and put it all back together including the front door and it's been working perfectly since 11.15am

All in all a good result as it's now fixed properly , however i really don't believe we would of needed any of the parts the numpty put in a few weeks ago had he set it up correctly in the first place.

Thanks again to everyone for all the suggestions :)

Merry Christmas :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back