Calais port and strike

So the couple on the news are to obviously representative of everyone?

No. Only the bad nasty ones come here. The really nice ones stay in Libya, Somalia and the like. That's why people are desperate to move there.

Sponsored Links
So the couple on the news are to obviously representative of everyone?

No. Only the nasty ones come here. The really nice ones stay in Libya, Somalia and the like. That's why people are desperate to move there.

Having experience in this area, I can also tell you that there is a hidden cost running into millions by way of interpreters and translators. Every interaction, however small, necessitates one of these and is eventually costed to HM Government (and therefore we taxpayers)

I know several interpreters who are making a mint - especially those who speak the 'rarer' languages.

Ah!! Even more benefit to us :) Don't get me wrong. I don't blame these people trying to get here. If I was one of them I would for sure. FFS though, why do people try to pretend they are a benefit to us.

nobody is saying illegal immigrants or asylum seekers are good for the uk
surely thats the ones coming in through the correct channels they are talking about when they say immigration is good??

Sponsored Links
I believe that the 'good immigration' relates to those who have skills and qualifications needed in The UK. That is a separate process as BA says.

The issue here goes back to my original question to Dan. I applaud his views on those who fought for our freedoms and that Britain ought to be seen as a safe haven for the truly persecuted.

However, if a person genuinely needs to escape his homeland for fear of death or persecution and flee to a safe country, why cross numerous borders and traverse thousands of miles of safe country to then attempt to gain entry to The UK? All European countries have the same agreements on genuine asylum seekers so I can see no reason for the genuine asylum seeker not to seek asylum in the first safe European country they arrive in.

Yes - I suspect that some European Authorities may actively encourage asylum seekers to move on but that still doesn't explain the numbers we are seeing trying to come to The UK.

I strongly suspect that there are other reasons why most of these so-called asylum seekers want to land in The UK and not elsewhere in Europe.

I strongly suspect that there are other reasons why most of these so-called asylum seekers want to land in The UK and not elsewhere in Europe.

Really?

_77922434_where_applicants_go_20140916_624.gif

Still waiting to hear why Joe thinks my wife's immigration status has any bearing to this debate. She is/was not an asylum seeker.

Last edited:
Thanks Dan. That reinforces my point. If France and Germany (and even Italy) deal with such a large amount of asylum seekers (and thereby have the mechansims in place to do so) why are the so-called asylum seekers we are seeing causing chaos in Calais trying to get to The UK? To claim asylum? Why? Your figures clearly show they would have been able to do so in one of the countries they travelled across.

BTW, I did post FFS and a thumbs down smiley when joe started on about your wife. Don't see why she should be brought into it.

The funny thing about my missus is that we would leave the UK tomorrow if it wasn't for my son's education. And in fact we will when he reaches the correct age to get into a particular school in her home country. But I appreciate the sentiment of you "FFS" :D

However, the graph above is there to demonstrate that the UK is not as bombarded as we think. it is just the media in the UK is excellent at drumming up needless panic and knee jerk reactions from the ill informed as has been beautifully demonstrated in this thread.

The chaos is on the Froggy's own making. And yes, the asylum seekers shouldn't have got as far as Calais.... but they have, and they are not all murderers and rapists like some on here seem to think.

I appreciate what the graph shows. I wasn't surprised by most of it but I was shocked at Sweden being there!

I do think that we get an above average influx in comparison with much of Europe (look at some countries which figure low on the list) but my point is that there has to be a reason (or reasons) for so many ignoring France and Germany and making a beeline for The UK. Now some of it has sound reasons (for example English-speaking refugees would have a sound reason for trying to get to The UK) but you have to admit that a generous proportion of them are trying for The UK for more nefarious reasons.

One of the issues that exacerbates the problem (or perceived problem) is that we have already had an influx of Europeans in many places in The UK (notably Eastern Europeans) and the additional burden (or perceived burden) of asylum seekers/refugees skews people's perceptions.

i think the simple facts are the government want loads off people prepared to work below minimum wage
to work in worse conditions
to work excessive hours
to work with no employment rights
to often work in effect as slaves
to help there friends to make greater profits but not at taxpayers expense unlike a uk citizen who would get working tax credits council tax credits and social housing costs help

The funny thing about my missus is that we would leave the UK tomorrow if it wasn't for my son's education. And in fact we will when he reaches the correct age to get into a particular school in her home country. But I appreciate the sentiment of you "FFS" :D

I have no idea what your wife does or where she's from, but I have no doubt that your wife is a productive member of society.

However, the graph above is there to demonstrate that the UK is not as bombarded as we think. it is just the media in the UK is excellent at drumming up needless panic and knee jerk reactions from the ill informed as has been beautifully demonstrated in this thread.

The chaos is on the Froggy's own making. And yes, the asylum seekers shouldn't have got as far as Calais.... but they have, and they are not all murderers and rapists like some on here seem to think.

I saw your graph, but the first thing that crossed my mind is that I have seen many statistics that claim to prove something and yet often contradict each other. Nevertheless, assuming your graph is correct, why do so many immigrants queue up at Calais to get into the UK? What's wrong with staying in France? French handouts not good enough, eh? :D

By GDP her country trounces us almost twice over. Although per capita, interestingly, we beat them by a smidge. However they are more educated by a fair margin.

So where does your wife come from? It's all relative.

The reason asylum seekers go to other countries is it's easier there to get permanent status to remain in Europe. Then they can come to the UK by train, no questions asked. That's why the indigenous white population of London is now a minority. Give me one other capital city where it's indigenous population are in a minority. Bet you can't.

Having experience in this area, I can also tell you that there is a hidden cost running into millions by way of interpreters and translators. Every interaction, however small, necessitates one of these and is eventually costed to HM Government (and therefore we taxpayers)

I know several interpreters who are making a mint - especially those who speak the 'rarer' languages.

That is where a lot of people want them still coming here..from the interpreters.people smugglers,farmers, restaurants ,factories,the shed leasers, ect.ect ... because everyone of them is making a quick buck and could not give a toss about the uk...

Sponsored Links
Back