Converting close coupled to combined feed & vent

Status
Not open for further replies.
6 inches or so, as long as its reasonably accessible

Sponsored Links
Don't like the sound of that do away with open vent, boiler stat fails water trying to go two ways in same pipe, also big problems when ever refilling system once coldfeed is under water in f&e.

Don't like the sound of that do away with open vent, boiler stat fails water trying to go two ways in same pipe, also big problems when ever refilling system once coldfeed is under water in f&e.

I know all responses are with best intentions but I have 2 conflicting bits of advice on changing my closely coupled vent/feed arrangement

One solution is to convert to combined vent/feed and dispense with vent. The other solution it lower the t into the pump.

Can anybody mediate ?

Converting to a combined feed and vent will normally solve any problems.

You could do this within your room will be OK but do use 15 mm for the feed.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Converting to a combined feed and vent will normally solve any problems.

You could do this within your room will be OK but do use 15 mm for the feed.

Tony

Tony thanks for confirming

but should n't the feed be 22mm

Recommendations from technical design publications have generally said the feed pipe should be of sufficient capacity to hold approximately 3% of the system volume...the reason being the system water does not get "expanded" up into the F&E cistern each time the system heats up.

However, this is often impractical (unless surge tanks or very oversized feed pipework is used) especially where the cistern is only just above the connection point.

Did you bale out the F&E cistern before you initially drained down, otherwise allsorts of muck could be in the system.

The H pattern you have is a perfectly acceptable setup...I suggest you cut out the vent tee section and check this is clear. Also check the vent pipework is clear. Does the vent pipe rise vertically and then bend over the cistern, perhaps it runs up to the roof and then dips lower before looping over the cistern. This would allow water to act as a trap and inhibit proper venting. An image of the F&E pipework in the roof would be useful including the inside of the vessel showing float level etc.

Have you also checked the gland nut on the pump inlet valve is tight. Did you use PTFE tape or copperease grease on the pump union threads to ensure the fitting is sufficiently tight. Sometimes air can be drawn in through valve stems etc.

Change to combined feed & vent as agile suggests if you like although i don't agree, but please read posts again because he isn't suggesting that you do away with open vent.

Did you bale out the F&E cistern before you initially drained down, otherwise allsorts of muck could be in the system

Yes

The H pattern you have is a perfectly acceptable setup...I suggest you cut out the vent tee section and check this is clear. Also check the vent pipework is clear. Does the vent pipe rise vertically and then bend over the cistern, perhaps it runs up to the roof and then dips lower before looping over the cistern. This would allow water to act as a trap and inhibit proper venting. An image of the F&E pipework in the roof would be useful including the inside of the vessel showing float level etc.

When I fitted the new 22mm feed pipe I cleaned out the black lining in the pipes that were put back. All the pipe down the left hand side is new

Have you also checked the gland nut on the pump inlet valve is tight. Did you use PTFE tape or copperease grease on the pump union threads to ensure the fitting is sufficiently tight. Sometimes air can be drawn in through valve stems etc.

I wrapped the olives in PTFE tape but not the treads. Air has always been a problem with this 10 year old system hence why I was opting for combined feed/vent option

Change to combined feed & vent as agile suggests if you like although i don't agree, but please read posts again because he isn't suggesting that you do away with open vent

Is he suggesting linking the vent pipe into the feed pipe

The "close coupled" feed and vent is so called because the two pipes are connected very close close together (hence the recomended maximum of 150mm) and their connections are therefore under virtually the same pressure.

I would be surpirised if going for a combined feed and vent makes any difference. Are you sure the vent pipe rises vertically all the way? It looks from your images that this is old pipework - ie painted, have you confirmed there is no blockage/partial blockage in the pipe.

Combined feed and vent don't always vent particularly well especially when initally filling. You could though cap off the vent pipe just above the tee, then tee in a new vent pipe near the feed outlet of the cistern.

How high was the water level set in the F&E vessel, it is often set too high (the float arm is not bent down) resulting in serious corrocion as water is expelled through the overflow when the system expands in volume.

I would be surpirised if going for a combined feed and vent makes any difference. Are you sure the vent pipe rises vertically all the way? It looks from your images that this is old pipework - ie painted, have you confirmed there is no blockage/partial blockage in the pipe.

The vent pipe is definetely clear as I managed to rig up mains water to the vent pipe and at very low pressure water was entering the expansion tank. Also I have done the jam jar test at start up and watched water sucked up the pipe for a second before returning to normal level. The vent pipe rises nearly a meter above the tank before dropping down to just under the tank cover whcih is a very tight fit

Combined feed and vent don't always vent particularly well especially when initally filling. You could though cap off the vent pipe just above the tee, then tee in a new vent pipe near the feed outlet of the cistern.

I think this is what Agile was recommending. What do you think about installing a bleed valve when I cap off

How high was the water level set in the F&E vessel, it is often set too high (the float arm is not bent down) resulting in serious corrocion as water is expelled through the overflow when the system expands in volume.

Water level is 175 mm .

Sticking mains pressure water through a pipe is NOT the same as checking the pipe is clear...use a lenght of hose pushed through. Mains water could easily pass through a 5 mm squared hole, a lot different than 300 mm cross section of a 22mm pipe.

Forget the jam jar test...not really telling you much. An initial small surge is normal. As the pump starts it will have a tendency to pull down water via the F&E feed and expansion pipes especially if there is air trapped in the system. The positive pressure from the pump outlet will compress the air initially before circulating the water.

Ideally the water level should be perhaps 50mm above the feed outlet allowing plenty of expansion capacity.

You could stick a vent on the "capped pipe"...use a 1/2" standard radiator vent plug fitted to a 1/2" female iron ccoupling. All the other vents merchants sell are carp.

Sticking mains pressure water through a pipe is NOT the same as checking the pipe is clear...use a lenght of hose pushed through. Mains water could easily pass through a 5 mm squared hole, a lot different than 300 mm cross section of a 22mm pipe.

Forget the jam jar test...not really telling you much. An initial small surge is normal. As the pump starts it will have a tendency to pull down water via the F&E feed and expansion pipes especially if there is air trapped in the system. The positive pressure from the pump outlet will compress the air initially before circulating the water.

Ideally the water level should be perhaps 50mm above the feed outlet allowing plenty of expansion capacity.

You could stick a vent on the "capped pipe"...use a 1/2" standard radiator vent plug fitted to a 1/2" female iron ccoupling. All the other vents merchants sell are carp.

fortunately I used a number of compression joints so I can easily split the vent pipe above the t and try the "pipe" test. if no problems I could try combined vent/feed method as you suggest.

Will also change tank level

thanks for your input and that of all other forum members

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back