Electric Metre Change

below is a screen dump from a bill of the day & Night readings
It seems that you are somehow managing to use almost exactly one-third of your electricity off-peak - which, as I said, is usually around the break-even point. If that bill (the peak/off-peak split) is typical, I think you should do the sums to make sure that it really is in your (financial) interest to change to a single tariff.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I do use some of the off-peak tariff, but how do I know what is using it? I put my washing machine & Dishwasher on sometimes in the evening so I am assuming its that?
It looks as if your installation is wired such that any electricity you use during off-peak times will be charged at the off-peak, but that everything will also still work throughout the day (and be charged at 'peak' rate). It's only if you had some things (like storage heaters, maybe immersions etc.) which were wired so that they would only work at off-peak times that there would be changes required before the meter change.

Kind Regards, John

I dont have storage heaters.

I have a gas boiler with rads on a gravity fed system with a HW Cylinder in the ensuite cupboard in the loft dormer.

Could the cylinder be connected to the off-peak? How would I know?

I have to say that I don't really understand why electricity suppliers feel the need for an immediate meter change when a customer askes to change from E10 or E7 to a single tariff - rather than just waiting until the time of the next meter change. They could do the 'tariff change' on paper and, until the meter eventually gets changed, just add together the two meter readings to determine the amount to charge at the single rate!

Kind Regards, John

I dont have storage heaters. I have a gas boiler with rads on a gravity fed system with a HW Cylinder in the ensuite cupboard in the loft dormer. Could the cylinder be connected to the off-peak? How would I know?
As I said, from what we've seen there is probably nothing 'connected to the off-peak'. Rather, everything is wired 'as normal', but all the electricity you use during the off-peak hours will be charged at the off-peak rate.

However, as I said, you appear to be using one third of your electricity at off-peak times, which somewhat surprises me if you don't have storage heaters. What sort of things do you have using electricity during the night (say 10pm to 8am)? It might be worth checking that the timeclock (next to your meter) is actually set to the correct time!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
However, as I said, you appear to be using one third of your electricity at off-peak times, which somewhat surprises me if you don't have storage heaters.
I've just realised that, although you're using one-third of your electricity off-peak, your total actual electricity usage is pretty low. 266 kWh in 3.5 months is only about 2.5 kWh per day (night!), and it would take very little to account for that. However, that doesn't alter the fact that you probably should do the sums to see if it would be in your advantage to change tariff. With such relatively low usage, any differences in any 'standing charges' between the two tariffs might be a significant factor, as well as the difference in prices of the electricity.

Kind Regards, John

get an electrician to check the wiring is suitable for a single tariff metre.

There mare issues with your installation not being up to standard, and I can see IP breaches on the boards, but what do they mean by "wiring is suitable"?

Did they say what for?

If not can you ask them?

You're currently being supplied with electricity, as you will be when they change the meter. Nothing will have changed, in that respect, only the meter type.

You say mare issues!

Are you able to advise what needs addressing please? And any rough costs involved?

The property is a 1935 house with solid walls and plastered.

Sorry! I don't know why I added an "m". I meant to say, "there are issues."

The visible ones are IP breaches to the boards where blanks are missing.

The T&E tails are not ideal, being single insulated in part and one T&E looks very thin.

Is there bonding to gas and water pipes?

But as I said, I can't see these issues stopping the firm swapping your meter.

However, as I said, you appear to be using one third of your electricity at off-peak times, which somewhat surprises me if you don't have storage heaters.
I've just realised that, although you're using one-third of your electricity off-peak, your total actual electricity usage is pretty low. 266 kWh in 3.5 months is only about 2.5 kWh per day (night!), and it would take very little to account for that. However, that doesn't alter the fact that you probably should do the sums to see if it would be in your advantage to change tariff. With such relatively low usage, any differences in any 'standing charges' between the two tariffs might be a significant factor, as well as the difference in prices of the electricity.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks John,

Yes, 2.5kWh does seem low. The only things running at night (10pm to 8am) are house phone, internet router, phone charger, tv standby, digi clock on Gas cooker, fridge, freezer, 2 Digital screen Heatmiser thermostats & Boiler Time Clock programmer.

I put my washing machine & dishwasher on maybe 2 or 3 times week but thinking about it now and looking at the cosumption on my bills I reckon I am paying day rate for this. as EON confirmed the following the other day

¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
The cheaper times on an Economy 10 meter
are as below;

2.30am - 7.30am - off peak rate for all consumption
2.5 hours between 1.30pm to 4pm - off peak rate for storage heating and/or hot
water only
2.5 hours between 10pm and 12.30am - off peak rate for storage heating and/or
hot water only
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬

Thanks John, Yes, 2.5kWh does seem low. The only things running at night (10pm to 8am) are house phone, internet router, phone charger, tv standby, digi clock on Gas cooker, fridge, freezer, 2 Digital screen Heatmiser thermostats & Boiler Time Clock programmer.
Even though 2.5 kWh is not a lot, I don't think that one can account for that (for just 5h/night - see below) on the basis of the above. The only really significant loads you mention are the fridge and freezer, and I would expect them to use well under 0.5 kWh between them over 5 hours. I assume that you don't use your washing machine or dishwasher very often between 02:50 and 07:30. I'm therefore not quite sure how this 2.5 kWh per day (night) is arising.
I put my washing machine & dishwasher on maybe 2 or 3 times week but thinking about it now and looking at the cosumption on my bills I reckon I am paying day rate for this. as EON confirmed the following the other day
The cheaper times on an Economy 10 meter are as below;
2.5 hours between 1.30pm to 4pm - off peak rate for storage heating and/or hot water only
2.5 hours between 10pm and 12.30am - off peak rate for storage heating and/or hot water only
I assume that you don't 'enjoy' either of those latter two 2.5h slots, since they would only apply if you had storage heaters (which you don't have at all) and/or electric water heating which was permannently connected to a supply which was only on during the off-peak periods - which you don't seem to have. I therefore presume that you only get the 5 hour off-peak slot at night (for everything).

Kind Regards, John

Thanks John, Yes, 2.5kWh does seem low. The only things running at night (10pm to 8am) are house phone, internet router, phone charger, tv standby, digi clock on Gas cooker, fridge, freezer, 2 Digital screen Heatmiser thermostats & Boiler Time Clock programmer.
Even though 2.5 kWh is not a lot, I don't think that one can account for that (for just 5h/night - see below) on the basis of the above. The only really significant loads you mention are the fridge and freezer, and I would expect them to use well under 0.5 kWh between them over 5 hours. I assume that you don't use your washing machine or dishwasher very often between 02:50 and 07:30. I'm therefore not quite sure how this 2.5 kWh per day (night) is arising.
The cheaper times on an Economy 10 meter are as below;
2.5 hours between 1.30pm to 4pm - off peak rate for storage heating and/or hot water only
2.5 hours between 10pm and 12.30am - off peak rate for storage heating and/or hot water only
I assume that you don't 'enjoy' either of those latter two 2.5h slots, since they would only apply if you had storage heaters (which you don't have at all) and/or electric water heating which was permannently connected to a supply which was only on during the off-peak periods - which you don't seem to have. I therefore presume that you only get the 5 hour off-peak slot at night (for everything).

Kind Regards, John

I will check the metre when I get home. Not sure what is producing power to arise the 2.5kWh usage!

The last few times when I have put my dishwasher on is at 3am in the morning so this should reflect on my next bill. I will check the metre readings again when I put my dishwasher on at 3am to see how much it is using

I will check the metre when I get home. Not sure what is producing power to arise the 2.5kWh usage! ... The last few times when I have put my dishwasher on is at 3am in the morning so this should reflect on my next bill. I will check the metre readings again when I put my dishwasher on at 3am to see how much it is using
Ah. One dishwasher cycle can use up 1.0 - 1.5 kWh, depending on the temperature of the cycle selected, so that may well be at least part of the explanation.

Kind Regards, John

I will check the metre when I get home. Not sure what is producing power to arise the 2.5kWh usage! ... The last few times when I have put my dishwasher on is at 3am in the morning so this should reflect on my next bill. I will check the metre readings again when I put my dishwasher on at 3am to see how much it is using
Ah. One dishwasher cycle can use up 1.0 - 1.5 kWh, depending on the temperature of the cycle selected, so that may well be at least part of the explanation.

Kind Regards, John

Thinking about it, that bill was before I started using a dishwasher. But I have just been sent another bill today and the night units on average are about the same.

I just took a look at the clock next to the metre (photo attached). Is the time suppose to be in line with the silver point???

To me it doesn't look like it is reading the correct time. I took the picture at 7.20pm tonight??

I would assume it's set to GMT.

I was looking at a sundial today - and that was on GMT as well!

Should I and Is it possible to change the time on them?
No. There will (hopefully) be seals to prevent you from doing that without getting caught! - otherwise half the world would be getting 'cheap off-peak electricity' at lunchtime :)

To change E10/E7 mechanical timeswitches from GMT to BST and back again would obviously involving sending operatives out twice a year to all the hosues involved, which would be a horerndous cost. They therefore leave the clocks on GMT all the time - so those timings that EON sent you will actually be an hour different during the summer.

Kind Regards, John

my bills are very high.
From the meter readings provided, you are using about 10 units per day, which is the average amount for a normal sized house.

However the high percentage overnight is not normal. Unless you are actually using your washing machine and dishwasher every night between approximately midnight and 7am, there is something else which is using a large amount of electricity. An old fridge or freezer with defective door seals is a likely culprit, or anything left switched on all the time such as a computer/server or similar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back